|

Goat Island Restoration

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby tinypiney » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:08 pm

I didn't know it at the time, but when I was in Maine, the Goat Island lighthouse in Kennebunkport was being restored and I guess it still is...
But whatever- When I was there, they were in the process of building the fog bell tower (as I realized after I saw the pictures in Lighthouse Digest) :)
The only photos I could get are fuzzy...
Attachments
rsz_1img_0755.jpg
rsz_1img_0755.jpg (49.66 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:48 pm

I have been there when it was an operational light station with a keeper and a fresnel lens in the lantern. This was the last light in Maine to be automated. I am glad to see fund raising for repair and restoration has been successful.

There was one incident that happened there when a young coast guardsman spent his first night as relief keeper. He had been previously told that a very unfriendly ghost who often visited the island. The poor guy paniced and and called for help. They had to go get him off the island in the middle of the night.

http://nelights.blogspot.com/2011/05/goat-island-light-maine-goes-back-in.html

Sadly a former caretaker lost his life here in 2002 when his rowboat overturned when he and his dog were rowing around the islland.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:38 am

Oh, that's so cool! I wish I could've seen it up close. :)
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:42 am

For being on a low flat island it is difficult to appreciate this lighthouse from the customary view from the mainland. The Marinas aerial photos of this light show the layout of the station that can not be seen from Kennebunkport shore and one can greatly enlarge each photo to observe the details.
http://marinas.com/view/lighthouse/97_Goat_Island_Lighthouse_ME
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Sometimes I really wish I had a boat... :)
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:58 pm

A boat would be really great! A boat on a trailer. To view a lighthouse from the ocean in a boat is viewing as it was intended to be observed by mariners. It is difficult to find ocean side images for many lights, some of which have each been photographed many hundreds of times. Portland Head for example. Another example is below in a rare photo. Can you identify the light?

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:23 am

Looks like the back of Cape Neddick to me ...
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:10 am

It is Cape Neddick. However, from the point of view of a mariner it is not the back. It is the front. :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:38 am

Yeah, all the good photos I see of lighthouses are taken from a boat...
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 am

The next best are aerials. The Marinas.com collection is really great if you want to focus on specific details in and about the light station.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Yeah, it's more likely I'll get a boat than an airplane :lol:
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 pm

A small boat would be better. There really is not a very good place to land a plane on Goat Island. Land maybe, but take off? Not! 8O

Seriously, a small boat on a trailer would work. There are 18 lights in Penobscot Bay in Maine. Only a few may can be readily seen from land, some only partially and several lights not at all. There are many places to launch a boat in this region.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Yeah, that's the kind I wish I had. I also wish I could drive, because my mom isn't taking me back to Maine anytime soon... :wink:
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Tiny.

The lighthouses in Maine will remain for many years so you have time to plan a visit in the future and time to learn the history of the lights before you view them. Knowing the history makes the visit much more meaningful. The best sources of Maine lighthouse history are Jeremy D'Entremont The Lighthouses of Maine and Candace Clifford Maine Lighthouses: Documentation of Their Past. (They have to be the best. I contributed to both. :) ) Really they are the best because both were very well researched.

Though her name is Eleanor, "Tiny" was my mother's nickname.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:16 am

When visiting lighthouses by boat, however, for reasons of wind and tide "inconveniences" are sometimes encountered for people on the boat and for the lightkeepers. 8O :(

island
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to New England Lighthouses