|

Possible Maine lighthouse charter

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby Keeper » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:39 pm

I've been emailing back and forth with Capt. Bill Baker, who runs a cruise/charter business out of Stonington, Maine, called Old Quarry Ocean Adventures. He runs a lighthouse tour a few times during the summer; you can read about it on his website:

http://www.oldquarry.com

I've been exploring the idea of a charter with him. In an approximately seven-hour cruise, we could see the following lighthouses: Matinicus Rock, Saddleback, Isle au Haut, Deer Island Thorofare, Heron Neck, Browns Head, and Goose Rocks. He takes up to 23 passengers. The cost per person would end up being about $44. I think that would be more than reasonable for such a trip.

I know that NELL had a similar cruise last year past most of these same lights. But that cruise didn't include Matinicus Rock. It's difficult to get close to that location. I've missed a few opportunities because of bad weather over the years, and I'd really like to get out there this year.

My reason for posting this here is because I'm wondering if some of the members of lighthousing.net would be interested in taking part in such a cruise. It would probably be on a weekend day in September, maybe the weekend of the 17th-18th. I'm thinking of spreading the word through my own mailing list, and possibly through NELL, but I'm posting it here first.

Anyone interested??
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby shirin » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:54 pm

I'd be interested but that weekend is the Maryland Challenge Weekend. I'll gladly pass along the info to our NELL members once you finalize a date though!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Keeper » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:01 pm

The reason I suggested that weekend is because Capt. Bill said September would be a good month for him to do this, and I have other things happening the weekends of the 10th-11th and the 24th-25th. The first weekend of the month is Labor Day weekend, so that probably wouldn't be good.

Actually, I could do Saturday, 9/24. We have an open house at Portsmouth Harbor Light the next day, but I could drive up on Friday, stay overnight (the cruise would start at 9), and then drive back after the cruise. It's 4-5 hours from Portsmouth, NH, to Stonington, ME.

Does 9/24 seem like an option?
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Ross » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:18 pm

Count me in!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:47 pm

Ross. This is at Stonington, Maine not Stonington, CT. Do you think you can find it? That's one of those Maine towns where "You can't get there from here". ya know." :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:10 pm

Now you guys are going to make me figure out how I can get to Maine for that cruise....
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby WisKeeper » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Hey that would be cool. We could visit Portsmouth Harbor Light too!

My brother lives south of Portsmouth in Hampton, NH, so I could work in a visit there maybe.
Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
WisKeeper
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:00 pm

Oh man, you're killing me!!!! I'd love to get back to Maine, and this trip would be a great excuse. But, I've already got most of my travel planned out for this year, and there's no way I could do that unless I flew out and back, which is definitely out of the question unless I inherit a buttload of frequent flyer miles.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:34 am

Actually I was thinking it was Stonington England... that's wicked fah!

:)
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Keeper » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:34 am

I hope to pick a definite date very soon, and I'll post it here. Another possibility is Saturday, October 1. I'll let everyone know ASAP.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Keeper » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:10 am

OK, here's the scoop. I've made a tentative reservation to do this cruise on Saturday, October 1. Besides the 7 lighthouses I mentioned earlier, we'll also go near Blue Hill Bay Light. That makes 8 lighthouses, including some remote ones -- not bad for one day!

I'll need to firm up this reservation and make a deposit by early in the summer, so if you'd like to come along, please let me know ASAP. You can email me at keeper@lighthouse.cc
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby plebetkin » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:15 pm

sounds like a great trip. What are the departure and arrival back at dock times? I'm interested.
good friends mean good times
plebetkin
Lighthouse God

Postby Keeper » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:08 pm

That would be great if you could come, Peter. The cruise will leave at 9 a.m. and will return at around 4 p.m.

By the way, there's a motel very close to the dock:

http://www.boycesmotel.com/

I plan to make a reservation for the night before. Stonington is one of those unspoiled Maine fishing villages that most tourists don't see. I'm looking forward to this trip.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:32 pm

Jeremy,

I'm Ivory Soap sure that I'm in ... sounds near perfect ...and I will know for certain within the week ...

... and Peter, If I can get this nailed down, you will have no transportaion issues ... you are on the way north ...

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:57 pm

I've been to Stonington--twice, the visits 25 years apart--and loved it both times. I could live there in a heartbeat.

This cruise has definitely been added to my Wish List for 2005!! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to New England Lighthouses