|

Maine LH Challenge

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby shirin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:07 am

Hey Paul - perhaps you can give us more details? Got this as a forward from the Sandy Hook Lighthouse.

shirin

Just wanted to let you know about the Mid-Coast
Maine Lighthouse Challenge. The event has been set for
June 7-8, 2008. I would love to have you with us next
year for our event!

These are, unofficially, the included lighthouses:

1. Pemaquid Point
2. Marshall Point
3. Owl’s Head Light
4. Maine Lighthouse Museum
5. Rockland Breakwater
6. Grindle Point
7. Fort Point
8. Dyce Head
9. Pumpkin Island

I wanted to officially invite you to our event, and
feel free to invite anyone and everyone to come to
Maine early next Summer for the Mid-Coast Maine
Lighthouse Challenge!

By the way, I'll see you in 2 weeks down in New
Jersey. Take care!

Paul Coover, aka Calais, Maine
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:55 am

I haven't heard of this either, any more info?
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby PaulCoover » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:18 am

Well, Al Smith said he was going to spread the word!

Yes, The event will be on June 7-8, 2008. It will be similar to the challenge events held in NJ, Maryland and Long Island each year.

I don't have too many details yet, but I know that we will need volunteers. If anyone is interested, please contact me.

I have more things to plan and work out, but as soon as I have more information I will post it here.

It should be a very fun event!
PaulCoover
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby AL » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am

Here is a link to 2007 event
http://www.rocklandlighthouse.com/docs/ ... llenge.pdf

Did any members take part is this years challenge?
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby PaulCoover » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:22 am

I was one of the (very) few that did take the challenge.

All I can say is that 2008 will be much bigger & better!
PaulCoover
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Ross » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:36 am

Strange I hadn't heard about it with all the ALF meetings I've been to. Maybe I'm just not remembering :) I'd like to try and make it but I think that weekend conflicts with some local Portsmouth events we've planned.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby PaulCoover » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:40 am

Well, we just set up the dates this past Wednesday evening, so word has not really gotten out yet.

As for the 2007 event, well, nobody really knew about that one!
PaulCoover
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Lighthouse Joe » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:06 am

Any dog friendly lights on this list and dog friendy hotels nearby... hmmmm? Seriously!
Lighthouse Joe
Head Keeper

Postby wheland » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:37 am

I'm hoping that the NELL Spring Meeting is not far from this but not on the same weekend in 2008. I've heard rumours of it possible being in the boston area- but the person may have confused it with the LHHC&Y which is near Boston in 2008.

I've been to all those lights but a challenge is always fun. I'll be missing the NJLHS Challenge for the first time this year. We've either done the Challenge or volunteered at it every year so far.

I've got a good excuse, though. I'll be in Ireland with Esther and my brother Michael and his wife Cathy. I'm sure of only one lighthouse visit there- Hook Head. They are not LH Wackos like me so it's not a priority on this trip.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby epona » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:32 pm

So far most lighthouses I have been to in Maine are dog friendly. I am not sure if I would want to take the dogs all the way out to the Rockland Lighthouse.

I am not sure about places to stay - last summer some places in Wells had some problems with dogs going after baby seals.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Larry » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:32 pm

I have to agree with Carole on dogs and Rockland. That's a precarious walk for humans. I'd hate see see one of the beagles fall through one of the crevices in the rocks.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby epona » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:21 am

Larry, Thanks for your back up. I admit that I have not walked on the Rockland breakwater for the reasons you posted.

I will do some digging around and find about places to stay that are dog friendly and also nice.

I have a cat so for me I just call up a friend who cats sits for me. I have not figured out how to travel with a cat and mine hates traveling with me. I would like to get a kitten and leash train it, but then what do you do about a litter box?

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:58 am

I would love to do this and visit these lights again. A few of them, I've only seen from a boat, and I'm yearning to explore Pemaquid & Owl's Head from land. A Challange is a great idea. I'll ditto the- don't take your beagles out to the Rockland Breakwater, though.

Carole, you are not going to leash train a kitten or cat...unless they want to do that, and cats can easily wiggle their neck out of one. You might be able to train one to walk beside you for a distance. One of mine will walk with me as far as the door to the end of the driveway, but then he finds other things that are more important to do. Cats do...what they find important. (My favorite cat sign..."Don't let the cat out-no matter what he tells you!")

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Lighthouse Joe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:13 am

Thanks for the help. My wife is looking forward to it. She went to college in NH. As long as I am not shooting lacrosse that weekend, we will be putting the trip together. As for unsafe conditions, for man and beast, we could work around it, via long lens or one of us stays with the dogs and switches. Murphy (my oldest) is partially paralyzed and has some issues walking.

Like I said, we will work it out.

Thanks again.
Lighthouse Joe
Head Keeper

Postby epona » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:51 am

Some added information. Be forwarded I am still getting to know Maine. (I sort of add in the to summers I spent here in high school as part of my knowledge)

Pemaquid, I will see it one of these day. Weather and not enough time have been factors when I planned on going to see it.

Marshall Point is very dog friendly. I have seen this lighthouse several times. I made a quick stop in Port Clyde this summer. I did not go to Marshall Point because the rain was coming down so fast and hard that even with a rain coat and umbrella I got a bit damp.

I would say the same thing about Owl's Head. Dog friendly, easy to get around, great views.

Grindle Point, requires a ferry out to Islesboro Island. The ferry does not not always stay on schedule. I have not been out to Islesboro, but I have taken courses with people who live on the island year round. You have to allow for extra time to see this lighthouse.

I have never been to Fort Point Lighthouse, however I have driven near several times.

Dice Head - I am not sure why this lighthouse is being included in the Challenge, I do not see it as being anything I would go out of my way for.

Pumpkin Island, it is privately owned and depending on the time of year seeing it from land is not easy. Winter with the trees might be the best time to see this one.

One of the small issues I can see with this entire Challenge is how much time it takes to get to the various lighthouses. I mean it takes a day to do Monhegan plus the cost of getting out to it and back. It would be great to include Browns Head Lighthouse, however you have the have the ferry ride out to Vinalhaven from Rockland.

Why is not Curtis Island Lighthouse in Camden being included, you can see this one from land, you just a boat to get close to it.

The more I am thinking about this maybe this Challenge could be done in part by boat. My thinking is have 15 lighthouses some of which you can only see by boat or by taking a ferry boat drive. You complete the Challenge if you see 10 out of the 15 lighthouses.

These are just some of my thoughts.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to New England Lighthouses