|

Gurnet Keeper's Cottage

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby Grover1 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:19 pm

From The Duxbury Clipper

http://duxburyclipper.com/content/view/1601/61/

(No Photo Credit)
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby ericlighthouse » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:40 am

Too expensive for me.

What's with the ladder on the outside of the lighthouse?
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby tucsoncollector » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:09 am

Not Expensive if you consider it sleeps 14. That figures about $246 per person per week!
tucsoncollector
Visitor

Postby ericlighthouse » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:15 pm

"That figures about $246 per person per week!"

That's true, however, but who wants to sleep in a bunk bed and only 2 bathrooms for 14 people, oh my! I guess if you have a couple of families with small kids it would be good.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Keeper » Thu May 01, 2008 2:31 pm

The Gurnet is a beautiful place, that's for sure. The price is not too outrageous, all things considered.

About the ladder -- I should know why it's there, but I don't. I'll see if I can find out.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Ross » Fri May 02, 2008 7:20 am

A new trivia question for the May 16th event!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Fri May 02, 2008 9:37 pm

Not wanting to spoil this new trivia, I will only say this. Go look at the photos on Jeremy's site and you will see the ladder was once longer. Also, look at Jeremy's Monhegan site and you will see a ladder on that tower. And think about what keepers had to do to "show a good light".
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Keeper » Sat May 03, 2008 10:26 am

My photos showing the longer ladder were taken just a couple of years ago. What's confusing about the ladder as it's now configured is that the location of its lower end seems to have no purpose.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby island » Sun May 04, 2008 12:09 pm

The purpose is still the same except now it would require a longer extension ladder from ground level. The tower is 39 feet high and the gallery deck is about 30 feet from ground. The bottom of the longer ladder was about 10 feet from ground and more easily accessed by folks intent on climbing up there who shouldn't. Perhaps this is why the original ladder did not extend to ground level.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri May 09, 2008 7:57 am

Why was this ladder installed on the Gurnet tower? So the keeper could access the gallery to clean the lantern windows to "make a good light'. Dirty glass significantly reduces the range of visibility of the light.

The Gurnet lantern does not have a door to access the gallery from inside the lantern. This is a rather small lantern of old design with 16 glass panels and 16 metal panels below thus the metal panels are very narrow compared to newer lanterns with fewer and wider panels. A hinged metal panel would likewise be too narrow to serve as an access door to the gallery. Gurnet has an arc of visibilty of 360 degrees so a solid access door could not be installed.

The ladder was shortened when the tower was re-shingled in the recent past to prevent local "kids" from climbing to the gallery, which they had been doing as was apparent from empty cans left on the gallery deck.

Concerning the ladder at Monhagan Light this lantern has full length glass panels with no metal panels below and an all-around arc of visibilty, thus no door to access the gallery from within lantern.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby ericlighthouse » Sat May 10, 2008 6:47 am

Makes prefect sense.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:29 pm

More ... from The Duxbury Clipper

http://duxburyclipper.com/content/view/1715/61/
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Return to New England Lighthouses