|

Penfield Reef Lighthouse Stolen?

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby LighthouseNews » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 am

I was contacted by Dr. Casey Jordan, whose group Beacon Preservation, was awarded Penfield Reef Lighthouse. As so many others have faced, the bottomlands issue has come up, but this time with an underhanded twist. The state of Connecticut has deeded Penfield Reef and the Bottomlands to the Town of Fairfield.
The story is here, and I have the full set of documents in a pdf file if anyone wants to see them (not available on the website). But she (and they), need your help and expertise to fight this. I know she's been in contact with Jeremy D. and Bob T., but the more that know about this and can give her a hand, the better.

Thanks.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:57 am

This one smells as bad as what was going on at Currituck, NC for multiple years. Frankly, the Fairfield, CT selectmen and their representative all deserve to be ousted for this sort of underhanded behavior come the next election :!: What gives them the authority to superseded the NHLPA :?:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:50 am

Sue ...

Ive been reading this ... and rereading this ... since first posted ... Thank you for bringing it to us

While it would be be tough to enhance Gary's understated eloquence when he says "this one smells" ... and I am secure enough to say I may not be comprehending this all ... but I keep wondering when I read that Fairfield and others attacked this issue two years ahead of the notice of sale ... that while certainly done in a quiet manner, I would think all Assembly business is accessible to the public ... that Sue states quite early on that "bottomlands" are always an issue in these acquisitions ... and while there certainly appears to be a "left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing" aspect to much of this, is it my impression that Beacon Preservation is doing a lot of this after the fact when maybe with a little more due diligence, they would have been "ahead of the fact?"

Mind you, what's being done does stink ... to me, its a "letter of the law versus the spirit of the law" type issue (Im just about out of cliches) ... and, if you have a private entity willing to take this on ... and they've passed muster spectacularly ... well, that speaks volumes (sorry, another cliche) ...

My favorite aspect has to be that the lighthouse doesnt even fall within Fairfield city limits. Where was Bridgeport when that was occurring?

Sue, again, I cannot thank you enough for this story ... being closer to home, I wonder, as Gary also pointed out, if this will take on the aura and animosity of the lighthouse community as it did with the Currituck situation a few years back ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:20 am

There's a lot more to the story that was left out. Apparently the part in the bill was added at the last minute, as so often happens. And there would really be no reason to be looking for that in obscure laws before applying for the lighthouse. That's why anyone that wants to see the entire set of correspondence is welcome to it. There's also other stuff I couldn't in good conscience put into the story, particularly the heads up Casey was given by an employee (now retired) of the GSA, at the time of the official inspection, about what was going on behind their backs.

The Coast Guard identifies the lights to be excessed quite a bit in advance, so certainly a state rep would have the knowledge this is going to happen in the near future. And I can speak with authority, from having phone conversations with Ken Flatto back when PETA was trying to get the lighthouse, that he would stop at nothing to keep Penfield Reef with Fairfield, even though it has since turned out it's not even in their jurisdiction. :roll:

And no one following the NHLPA procedures would have suspected that the behind the scenes work was going on. Fairfield and CT having prior knowledge of the future excessing of the light gave them the advantage.

Yesterday morning, I contacted the Hartford Courant with this story. They called Casey and spent a few hours on the phone with her, so I'm hoping this gets a little more exposure than my site can give it.

The PDF file is about 6MB, so let me know if you (or anyone) want it emailed to you. You'll get an eye-opener at the nefariousness of Rep. Drew, and shake your head at the cluelessness of the GSA. I'd seen it before when their software ended an auction early, and they refused to acknowledge they were at fault, and thus lost at least one more bid, and possibly more.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 am

Sue ...

You've done a fantastic job with a remarkable story ... much thanks for that ...

And there would really be no reason to be looking for that in obscure laws before applying for the lighthouse.

Maybe yes, maybe no ... but if they had ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:08 pm

Actually, I don't need to email it. I just uploaded it for those that are interested.

Penfield Correspondence
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:02 am

The story has hit the papers ... from The Hartford Courant

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-li ... 9215.story
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 am

For those of you who have never lived in CT. What is going is the norm. Sue you got this one right on head of the nail.

I also wonder what is going to happen considering where money and human effort are being used in overall in CT.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:51 am

Moving the story along ... from The Connecticut Post

http://www.connpost.com/ci_13246865
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:07 am

I hope Casey digs her toes in and stands her ground. If she manages to prove that the state had no right to receive the bottomlands in the first place, this will have good, no great, implications for all lighthouse groups. The laws are on the books. They may be old, but are still in effect.

I'm also wondering if these are the same laws that Dick Moehl mentioned in the last issue of The Beacon. I've been meaning to ask Terry. If so, perhaps they may want to contact Casey and add their weight on getting the Coast Guard and GSA to recognize these laws.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Return to New England Lighthouses