|

Straitsmouth Island Foghorn

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby Grover1 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:29 am

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:55 am

For people who hate fog horns they should live in a major city or small city. Say NYC or LA or London, Paris. I live in between the Fire Station and the Police Dept. I am on a hill so I get to hear loud sounds 24/7 from both Biddeford and Saco. Let's not forget about freight trains at 3 AM I live a mile away as the hawk flys. You get used to these sounds and noises.

One point that I did get out of this story is the Coast Guard needs better staffing in repairing Aids to Navigation.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:01 pm

It is not unusual for these fog signals to fail thusly. It is the detector that fails and when this happens the horn control automatically goes to a continual sounding mode and will not shut down when the fog clears. I know of cases where the ATON folks have tried everthing in the book and more yet not have been able to get this systems to shut down properly.The older but now obsolete detectors appear to have been more reliable but still suffered similarly.

As to the need for a fog signal, these only identify the approximate location where they are installed. They do little to aid in locating navigation concerns in the neighborhood. With respect to Straitsmouth, the lighthouse marks the south side of the eastern approach to Rockport Harbor, the north side identified by the Avery Ledge lighted bell buoy quarter mile distant at the south end of the breakwater. The Salavages are over a mile to the northeast and are marked by a lighted bell buoy. Thatcher is nearly two mile southeast and has its own fog signal.

It is not the wind that carries sound such it is louder downwind than upwind. Rather is is refraction of the sound waves. Sound refracts upward when against the wind and downward when in wind direction. The upward refraction is often so profound as to cause the sound not to be heard at all until quite close (a few hundred feet) to the sound source. Increasing the sound intensity or the the type of sound source does little or nothing to correct this.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:55 am

Fixed.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/manchester/fun/x1848777086/Coast-Guard-fixes-Straitsmouth-Light-sound-signal

First story: ----a Coast Guard official's explanation. "The Coast Guard has trained individuals to deal with this, but one is sick."
Second story: ---recent high winds and dangerous seas during the past week prevented the Boston-based aids-to-navigation team (ANT) from responding safely.

Real Story: This was not a high priority nor should it have been because this problem in no way had any advese impact on navigation safety.

"“We take all reports of aids to navigation discrepancies very seriously,” said Commander Claudia Gelzer, chief of waterways management at Sector Boston." Not said, however, the CG defination of discrepancy is, "Failure of an aid to navigation to maintain its position or function as prescribed in the light list." Therefore, this fog signal was not discrepant.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:40 pm

After a while, if you live in a noisy area you just tune it out. When I go on vacation I have to leave the radio on to make some noise. I live in the flight path that is less than 3 minutes from a O'Hare Airport landing, less than a half mile from the spot where 2 expressways merge, 2 blocks from an "El" train and 2 regular passenger train lines, and a half block from the fire department. I do not hear most of the noises at all. When I visited West Quoddy last year and the year before the fog was like pea soup at night. I actually enjoyed hearing a couple of different foghorns going all night.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby island » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:18 pm

In my early years at the lighthouse I was deathly afraid of those mean old compressed air fog horns even when they were silent. I just knew they had teeth and jump down from their perch on the metal tower to attack me without notice. The sound was so loud you could feel it. And it would rattle the windows and the gutters on the house.

Later I became so accustomed to the two ear piecing blasts every half minute I would not notice them at all. And it is true one would learn to time their speech in sync with the horn blasts. Sometimes I would go to sleep at night with the horns sounding. Suddenly I would awaken thinking something was wrong. The horns were silent.

In the winter months when I was away for having to attend school I could often hear those horns if only faintly from a distance of nearly 12 miles, It was as though they were calling me to return, to come home to the "my" lighthouse.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:14 am

Kathy and Island you both have posted A+ examples of what I said.

Certain louds are like background only better. If the trains are not running like what happened during the Patriots Day Storm or a accident something is not right in the world. I can also now tell to some degree what the road conditions are in the area by listening for police cars. During the ice storm this winter both area fire and police departments where going non stop for three days.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby paulafrank1213 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Was it an idiomatic expression using the word teeth or it must be taken literally? If its literal, I must say it's a big ouch! :)
paulafrank1213
Visitor

Return to New England Lighthouses