|

Re-Enlisting at the top of Point Judith

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby vacastle » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:02 am

Neat photos of a Black Hawk helicopter sitting at Coast Guard Station Point Judith...

http://www.uscgnewengland.com/go/doc/778/256467/

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:14 am

I am going whine in this posting. Point Judith is my very favorite lighthouse and I have not seen her in 4 years. I really does not look like I am going to see her in the near future. Whine!
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:44 pm

There seems there might be something missing here. What was Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Fredric Bechtel's connection to Point Judith lighthouse that this lighthouse was significant as a location for his re-up? It seems rather unusual to me.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:48 am

In addition to my first post what Island posted came to my mind as well. I could see a connection right off the bat if this where a high level
Coast Guard person. I could all understand if it where a Coast Guard who was retiring.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:45 am

The helicopter was carrying personnel from U.S. Navy Operational Support Center Newport, R.I. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Fredric Bechtel of the Operational Support Center re-enlisted at the top of the lighthouse and then he and the center's sailors of the quarter, sailor of the year and blue jacket of the year were given tours of the Coast Guard station.

I don't see anything too unusual about this, unless it's the mix of other branches visiting a CC station. It gave them a nice photo opt. People, non-connected to the service get permission for weddings at or in lighthouses; lighthouse groups get permission from the CC to climb towers that are not generally open to the public. I find the Coast Guard to be very friendly folks. You just know to go through the proper channels when making a request.

When I was there in January two years ago, it was a bright warm day, and the Coasties were outside with grills cooking lunch. I got a spur of the moment invite for a hamburger...pretty cool! I would have loved to have toured the station, but didn't push my luck. Besides, I've toured other CC stations before.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Return to New England Lighthouses