|

Minot's Ledge

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:18 pm

Minot's Ledge, aka the "I Love You" light because of it's characteristic 1-4-3 flash signature, sits off the Massachusetts coast not too far from Cohasset. While I was in New England last week, Minot's Ledge was on my list of big glass targets. This first shot was taken at an effective focal length of 900 mm (300 mm Nikkor f/4 AF-S lens and a Nikkor 2X AF-S teleconverter) on a Nikon D200 body.

One of the advantages of wandering along the coast during the week in the spring, besides the better quality of the air for photography, is the fact that summer residents aren't around and you can occasionally avail yourself of a driveway that you otherwise wouldn't be able to use to set up a tripod during the summer. This second shot was taken further north than the first and was shot using a Nikkor 500 mm f/4 AF-S lens, a Nikkor 2X teleconverter, and the Nikon D200 body, giving an effective focal length of 1500 mm at f/8.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:56 pm

They're not exactly Lake Michigan waves but somehow you just had to know Gary would find a way to get a little spray in the shot.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:31 am

Maybe a little spray but he left his gull home ...

I dont know if Gary felt it, but this light provoked a strange feel in me when I walked that beach ... with its lore, its history, its aura, when you see the picture, its just there ... you dont see the rocks, you dont see the ledge ... you just see the light emerging from the water ... I think its a powerful image and Gary caught it with that isolated shot ...

... and I love it when I feel that feel. Its what fascinates me and draws me to these structures.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Weasel58 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Nice photos Gary. The only time I viewed Minots ledge was a cold blustery February day. The waves tops were crashing almost to the walkway were the solar panels are in your pic. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me. But them again back then I wasn't really into lighthouses.
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Barry, actually my trained gull was along... he's flying by in the more distant photo :!: It is a hauntingly beautiful light... the surface of the sea the day those photos was shot was a little deceptive. You can, however, see the wave breaking to the left of the lighthouse in the first photo that gives you a hint that the rocks of Minot's Ledge are just below the surface.

That's one of those lights, Eric, that I need to get back up there to photograph when there are big waves pounding it! The one problem might be that it's far enough out that you really couldn't use 1500 mm in those sorts of conditions, but a 300 mm f/4 lens would probably give you decent wave photos.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Weasel58 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:44 am

The day I was there, I want to say was clear, very windy, and sunny. It was the day after a snowstorm. What I remember most was that it was *&%$@ cold!!!

I was in the Braintree area for work and stuck there over the weekend with nothing to do so I drove out to Scituate on one of those days. The other day I went up to Salem.
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Interesting choices, Eric. When I was there last week, I had two days while my wife was at a quilter's meeting in Manchester, NH. The first day I went to Scituate, the second to Salem. Great minds, I guess?
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Keeper » Wed May 20, 2009 2:57 pm

In case people aren't aware of it, Minot's is one of the lighthouses up for transfer in the latest round of the NHLPA. It will be interesting to see what becomes of one of America's greatest lighthouses.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Return to New England Lighthouses