|

Nubble at dawn

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:48 pm

Last week I spent along the shores of Lake Champlain, and along the seacoast in Maine and Massachusetts. One of my favorite sunrise lighthouse shoots in Maine is at Nubble. Here are a couple of shots from last Wednesday morning. The first shot was taken a bit before the second. The morning I was there didn't afford the spectacular orange sky that I got last year, but I was after something a bit different last Wednesday morning. The foreground when this first shot was taken was a tad dark and more or less devoid of detail.

After the shot above, I moved back and went down onto the lower segments of rock that were still wet from the tide having gone out. What I was after is captured in this second image. More color in the sky would have been a plus, but I'm quite happy with what the dawn offered up for me that morning.

One of these years I need to get up to Pemaquid Point for the sunrise... unfortunately that didn't happen this last trip.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 am

Gary Martin wrote:
One of these years I need to get up to Pemaquid Point for the sunrise... unfortunately that didn't happen this last trip.

Next time, Gary. Next time. :) The rays of the early morning sun captured through Pemaquid's lens would be a great photo. :)

It's rare to get a truly colorful sunrise up here. Most are more muted like in the second pic. But that pastel effect does make for some lovely shoots, like yours.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Return to New England Lighthouses