|

First ever Maine open lighthouses day

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby jaymatt1978 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:00 pm

jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi Justin ... What's your opinion of the event?

We've been flogging it pretty good for a short while ... please join in the discussion ... viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9446
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Hey, weren't we discussing in that other post how this wasn't a contest ??

And yet there, at the bottom of the Morning Sentinel article, here they write ----

"{So go where your feet and constitutions can safely take you. We're thinking of holding a contest with our friends to see who can get to and climb the most in one day.}"

We were posting about the concept of "Open Lighthouse Day" Vs. a "Lighthouse Challenge", and the post from Sue summed it up nicely ------

"{This is not a lighthouse challenge. Not by any means. My comment is about the inaccessibility of many of the lighthouses. And the fact that they're not even recommended for a visit due to conditions. And you do have to remember that this is Maine, and "you can't get there from here." I never understood that, until I actually lived out here.
My contention is that Visit Maine seems to be partially promoting this as a lighthouse challenge. And it's not. I also cannot see how all these lighthouses will be "open," since there would (by implication) be someone there to monitor visitors. And the Coast Guard, although doing the survey, will not be available at each light every hour of the day.}"

I would wonder who the writer's "friends" are, and just how many people will be racing up and down the coast of Maine come Sept. 12 ??.... 8O
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby wheland » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:50 pm

You cannot legislate intelligence.

Simply put I don't think the person is seriously touting the day as a challenge to everyone- they are just making a little side wager within the circle of friends to see who can make the most stops.

I agree this is not the right attitude- for any challenge and do my best to disuade people from rushing from one lighthouse to the next and spending no time at any.

I do outreaches for the NJLHS where I talk up the NJLHS Challenge. I make it clear that while we do not require people to climb all the lighthouses the idea behind the challenge is to gain some knowlwedge and appreciation for the lighthouses of NJ.

I try and emphasize that it's allowed to return to the lighthouses at a later time and experience them a bit more fully. I also try and point them in the right direction as to which lighthouses they should wait in line for and also try and get them to choose one of the Big 3 to climb. I know it's heresy to some but Cape May, Barnegat and Absecon give basically the same experience so I suggest they wait at East Point or Sea Girt (not many days to access) and only climb one tall tower (many days to access them).

We have had people finish the entire NJLHS Challenge in one day- it misses the whole point to do so.

Maine Lighthouse Day is basically a good idea- it just is not being getting the word out properly.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:44 am

Letter to the editor ... From The Kennebec Journal

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/v ... 72312.html
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:54 am

Uhhhh.....Doesn't Jim Weidner have his months messed up ??

Or does ARLS think that Maine Open Lighthouse Day is Aug. 12 and not Sept. 12 ?!?
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:32 pm

I left a comment after reading the article to let everyone know that Maine's Open Lighthouse Day is September 12th, not in August. I also mentioned that it is the same day as the International Lighthouse Challenge being sponsored by Little River Light in Cutler, West Quoddy Light in Lubec, and East Quoddy (Head Harbor Light) on Campobello Island.

My best, :D
Paul Conlin
ALF
Help Keep Ken Black's Dream Alive
Join or Make a Donation Today!

Maine Lighthouse Museum
One Park Drive P.O. Box 1116
Rockland, Maine 04841

(207) 594-3301

www.MaineLighthouseMuseum.org
Paul
Assistant Inspector