|

Accessible Lights Near Hyannis Mass.

A forum to discuss lighthouses in the New England Region of the US
(Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont)

Moderator: vacastle

Postby Lighthouse Joe » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:10 am

Long time, no see (or post).

My wife and I (along with our dogs) are going up to Cape Cod (Hyannis) for our 20th wedding anniversary. I was wondering what lights are accessible in and around there. I see many are on private property or by boat. Any help would be appreciated.
Lighthouse Joe
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Joe ... good to "see" you again.

While Im sure you'll get all the usual suspects suggested, assuming you'll do just a little wandering, here's two thoughts ... first, the Hyannis Harbor Light. Its not a real lighthouse anymore but converted into a residence. It shows up on all the cable TV shows about odd residences ... If inclined, you need to find Harbor Road, go to the end, and it will the last home on the right ... Caution #1 ... its been a long while since Ive been thru that way and there was a high hedge there leaving just the tower exposed ... Caution #2 ... it wasnt the most special light or setting but it was different and it was there ... second ... Stage Harbor Light ... first time I saw it, the directions brought me in from the West ... just past Bass Harbor ... and it required a long walk over the beach and dunes to a lanternless light. I made it about halfway and shot from a distance ... Second time, I found directions that took me through Chatham to where it could be viewed across a small harbor, a much closer, much prettier view.

Memory also says views of Sandy Neck arent far from Hyannins, at the top of the Cape ... You cannot get close but you'll have the glass to view it across the inlet and now that it has the lantern back, it may be worth the trip

Happy Anniversay ... We stayed at the Lighthouse Inn in Bass Harbor during our 25th celebration too many years ago ...I love Cape Cod ... hope you do as well.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby kickstand » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:53 pm

I suppose I'm too late with this, but the most obvious lighthouses near Hyannis would be Nobska Light, to the west (in Woods Hole) and Chatham Light, to the east (in, yes, Chatham). Both are easily accessible to view, and Chatham has tours during the following times:

Wed. Sept. 16 1:00 to 3:30PM

Wed. Oct. 7 1:00 to 3:30PM
Wed. Oct. 21 1:00 to 3:30PM

Thurs. Dec. 31 12:00 to 2:00PM

All dates 2009.
kickstand
Visitor

Return to New England Lighthouses