|

To those with web pages

If you have a lighthouse-related site, or know of one, list it in this forum!
Note: If you want to advertise your commercial site, ask for permission from one of the moderators or administrators first.

Postby Larry » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:37 pm

I know, a lot of people are down on Lighthouse Digest/Depot right now, but....

Are you aware of their affiliate program?

http://www.lhdepot.com/affiliate/

Add a link to them with your referral code built in to the URL, and if anyone make a purchase after linking from your site, you get a 10% commision.

I've had the link for about a year, and was surprised by a check for $2.50 in the mail today...WOOHOO! :lol:
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:58 pm

God, Larry, don't spend it all in one place!
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:41 pm

Larry... I'm jumping all over this one. I'll put my link to it on my site first thing in the morning. (Hey, what's wrong with an extra $2.50, Gary ... We're not all RICH photographers like you! LOL)
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:49 pm

I had some affiliate links on my site for at least a year, and I earned exactly $2.50 less than Larry..... Therefore I removed pretty much all of them this fall when I did my update.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Larry » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:53 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I was just surprised that they would actually send the check for that small of an amount. Heck, the click through could have just as well have resulted in the sale of a few Harbour Lights, instead of whatever the clicker bought for $24.95. It's not hurting anything to leave the affiliate link. I had a link to LHD anyway, why not hope to make some change from it?

And Mike, can you explain what these "update" things are that you talk about, are? :oops:
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Jen » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:09 pm

Larry, thanks for this information. I am looking for affiliate info for my new website and I have linked their website already, but with no affiliate code. Only one problem I have - they want your address and SS#, and it's not a secure site. I'm not sending them ANY info with that kind of insecurity...
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:15 pm

Well Larry, an update is something that spends months resting way in the back of your mind, but comes up for air every couple of weeks then retreats. It starts out small, but as time passes and photos are taken it gets bigger and bigger until it seems insurmountable. Thus a 15 minute job turns into a week long undertaking. Heck, if I hadn't had the knee surgery I probably still wouldn't have gotten to it. :roll:
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Keeper » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:45 pm

I've actually done fairly well with the Lighthouse Depot affiliate program, with several hundred dollars a year. (Note: it has absolutely nothing to do with Lighthouse Digest, which is a completely separate company.) I think the key is to integrate links to individual products throughout your site, rather than just a banner or link here and there.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:10 pm

They need your Social Security number for tax purposes. As such, they will be claiming you as a supplier, and will send your SS to the Government. There is a remote possibility that the IRS will use that SS number to check your tax return to see if your claimed the appropriate income. The same thing happens with any company to whom you sell.

But I agree that sending you SS number via email or via an form on an unencrypted web page is taking somewhat of a chance.

Keeper is right - from a tax standpoint, Lighthouse Digest, Lighthouse Depot and the American Lighthouse Foundation are all seperate entities.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby beachbum1616 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:14 pm

I have talked with Jeremy about doing just this last year. I have been giving some thought off and on, more off than on, but I think it would be less of a concern if they would fix the security aspect of it. I know I would be more willing to sign up if this was fixed.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Websites