|

A New "Print Store"

If you have a lighthouse-related site, or know of one, list it in this forum!
Note: If you want to advertise your commercial site, ask for permission from one of the moderators or administrators first.

Postby beachbum1616 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:46 pm

I have recently added an online "Print Store" to my website. I have given the link in this post, but it is also available from my homepage as well.

http://www.beachbum.homestead.com/PrintStore.html

I am open to comments if from the membership here about the new addition.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Larry » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:27 pm

Good luck with the prints, Stephen. I just recently started having them for sale, too. I can't yet say I've "recently starting selling them", because I haven't done any selling.

I need to prepare more for sale, I don't have a lot ready yet. I'm doing it through DPCPrints. They do the printing and the mailing, and I only get a portion (50-75%) of the profit over base cost, but I'm thinking it will save time and agravation in the long run. I'm not looking to get rich, but just to have some fun and to get some extra change to put in the pocket.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Hersh » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:35 pm

Looks like a good start to me Stephen, I hope you do well with it.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. I am not looking to get rich either, just some cash to cover the cost of the web site and maybe some trip spending money or film money.

I have sold a few before, just a few, but I thought that this way people would know that I have some stuff for sale.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:31 pm

In the for what it's worth department...

I've offered prints for sale for quite a while. I sell a fair number per year, but the income, if you want to call it that, from sales off my website pales in comparison to what I realize from sales through galleries that carry my prints in towns along the Lake Michigan shore. Granted, I don't make as much as when I sell them direct, but I sell a lot more of them via the galleries than I do off the website.

I would suggest, Stephen and Larry, that if you can get a gallery along the shore to carry your work, you might want to consider that in addition to direct sales from your website.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Gary,

I have thought about making up some prints (mainly OBX stuff) and taking them to a few places light Nags Head Gallery & Gifts and letting the owner have a few (10 or so) to sell to see how they do. Then, if they do well, talking with the oweners to see if I can get some space or something to try and "move some units" so to speak. Would you suggest this or some other method?

One of the reasons I haven't done this before it becasue I didn't feel like my stuff was that good. I think now I have a few images that I could start building some sales from. Any advice you have is welcome.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:04 pm

Stephen, you definitely have what it takes. Add your Lifesaving Station photos and you really have the complete Outer Banks package!!! That would be a great place to start. :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:22 pm

I agree with Leah that your LSS photos might help to set you apart from the rest of the pack, that might be something for you to focus on. I'm not sure how much demand there would be, but it might be worth investigating.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:49 pm

I hadn't really thought about that angle of it. With the number of people who visit Chicamacomico each year, I might be able to get some of those prints in the stores to sell.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:13 am

Stephen... Like Gary, I too have not done overwhelming sales directly from my website. However, I'm hoping to change that a bit during the coming years as my name gets out there among the public better. I've only been "in business" with the website for about 16 months, but I also have a spot in a gallery on Long Beach Island here in Jersey, recently struck a deal with the regional Chamber of Commerce to hang some of my prints on its main lobby walls, and have a small eBay presence as well. But so far, most of my sales actually have come from art/craft shows and their residual effects. I have a dozen such shows already lined up this year.

However you do it, Stephen, I also will say you're off to a good start and certainly have some great shots to offer people. Good luck with your new endeavor. I hope you strike it rich, even if you're not trying to. :yay:
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Websites