|

OBLHS new website

If you have a lighthouse-related site, or know of one, list it in this forum!
Note: If you want to advertise your commercial site, ask for permission from one of the moderators or administrators first.

Postby Larry » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:30 pm

the_arianrhod wrote: Also I don't understand how coding can be 'stolen' or even worse, how anyone can think that html code is copyrightable. Every web page has coding, and I don't thnk any one person can hold claim to ownership to that can they? :?:

Did someone write that code? Did someone create those graphics? Of course it's copyrightable. It's no different that writing a book, or painting a picture or taking a photograph, or writing a piece of software code, or a song. Yeah, it's just a bunch of code, but it is the manner in which the code is put together, just like the notes in a song or the words in a book.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:35 pm

"there's always at least 2 sides to stories. There seems to be things here being 'aired' that stand to be nothing more than pejorative statments, and for what good?"

The good of getting my side out, you are coming into this part way.

"All the laughing and poking fun at a website? What fun is that? Who does that benefit? It appears to be more of a personal issue.
From what I saw it seems to be clean and sleek, and easy to get around."

I tend to disagree, it's crap. It certainly is personal, and knowing the whole story would help understand. Did you see the old one?

"Also I don't understand how coding can be 'stolen' or even worse, how anyone can think that html code is copyrightable. Every web page has coding, and I don't thnk any one person can hold claim to ownership to that can they?"

Yes I can. I'm a programmer by day and I protect EVERYTHING I write. Intellectual property is most certainly a common thing.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby the_arianrhod » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:35 pm

Larry, I said nothing about graphics not being copyrightable. I also don't see a lot of graphics on that site, and the ones that are, are given credit to the photographer and this assume they gave permission.

I was talking about simple html coding being copyrightable to one individual.
the_arianrhod
Visitor

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:47 pm

Odd how I emailed the OBLHS today with code that was used without permission, and our first naysayer surfaces.

And, they're using the custom javascript that I wrote as well. I hope they don't try that with the custom script I wrote for the PayPal store.

And, you'll note that I'm laughing and poking fun at the site because I can. No one is being forced by me, and I don't intend on speaking for them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

And I plan on wreaking as much as I can, because, once again, I can. When someone in OBLHS wants to face me, then face me, but bring the truth and stop the lies.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Larry » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:03 pm

the_arianrhod wrote:Larry, I said nothing about graphics not being copyrightable. I also don't see a lot of graphics on that site, and the ones that are, are given credit to the photographer and this assume they gave permission.

I was talking about simple html coding being copyrightable to one individual.

Okay, I take back the part about the graphics, but still stand behing the rest of it. Sorry.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:23 pm

Just a note: The rogue "webdesigner" has asked for Copyright information regarding my code.

Sounds like admitting using it to me, I need to provide nothing, go search.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:23 pm

Interesting too, regarding the "naysayer," Ross, that there is no information about the_arianrhod available, and only a generic yahoo.com e-mail address. People might not agree with what I have to say on this or other boards, but at least they know who said it when I post something.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby the_arianrhod » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:00 pm

Hi, Gary
I don't think knowing or not knowing personal details about someone has anything to do with facts, questions, or comments on a forum. I don't fill in non-required spaces any more since I have experienced identity theft once, and that was enough for me. As for the generic yahoo address.. I use it, so generic or not, it's what I began with on this forum, and it's what I have.

Thanks
the_arianrhod
Visitor

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:01 pm

So as not infer LH.net as anti-OBLHS, I'm closing this thread.

Any inquiries can be directed to me via email or PM. This is my battle that I'm more than appreciative of the support of the great members here, but I will have to go this one alone! Sometimes I just like to get the information out there. :)
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Websites