|

Big News

If you have a lighthouse-related site, or know of one, list it in this forum!
Note: If you want to advertise your commercial site, ask for permission from one of the moderators or administrators first.

Postby Zachary » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:24 pm

I've decided that since I now have a job and can afford paid hosting I'm going to expand my website. I bought my host's biggest plan (8 gigs of space and 65 gigs of bandwidth) and will buy a .com domain name for my new site. My old one for texas will remain the same as a part of the new one but the new one will also have information on all of the Gulf Coast's lighthouses from LA-FL (Like I said, my TX lights page will remain). Now having a job gives me the money to do this but not the time so it'll be a while. Anyway, here's the banner for the new site, let me know what you think color-wise.
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:19 pm

TIME??? What's that?
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Zachary » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:26 pm

It's that evil little thing that's going to make this project take a while to complete.
Actually, I'm working on the index page now, it's very similar styled to my current site.
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:56 pm

Wow Zach you must be expecting a stack of visitors to your web site. 65 gigs is enormous. One of my web sites has over 5,000 visitors per year and they never get anywhere near the 2 gigs bandwidth that I have.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:35 am

Kevin,

I was thinking the same thing. WOW, that is a lot of bandwidth and memory. I think my site is currently running on less than 75mb of memory.

Zack,

I wish you the best of luck with it. Let us know when you have updates and things for us to see.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:05 am

Big News?

First thought was you're betrothed ... or you hit the lottery ... or that the Yankees are in first place (whoops, they already are :wink:)

Big news?

Well, having a job is big news ... and that's a great thing! The expanded web site? I think that's fantastic! I had the same ambition as a winter project this past snowy season and just got lazy. I don't know band widths and megabytes but I just got to feel more is better ... will allow you to try different things, expand your creativity ... show off your passion.

Zack, please keep us informed regarding your progress. From what I've seen here ... with all the talent and skill expressed on these forums and the postees respective homepages ... any technical help you may need will be available fo the asking.

Me, with my fondness for the name "Zachary," I am really good for moral support :wink: Best of luck with your project
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Zachary » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:31 am

Thanks guys, the hosting is only $20/mo and I have other non-lighthouse sites I host also. I know I'll probably not use the space but I'll never have to worry about deleting anything if I come close.
Zachary
Head Keeper

Postby Ross » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:31 am

I've been working on my site changeover for 4 months now... should have taken a week... !
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Larry » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:04 pm

That's great news.

As far as the banner goes, the lighthouse looks like its tipping a little. Maybe rotate it clockwise just a smidge.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Zachary » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Here's a screenshot of the index
Zachary
Head Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Websites