|

Definitely the hightest light - photo's added

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby LeadingLight » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:11 am

It's a frequent question and discussion on forums and among lighthouse connaisseurs. Which light in the world is at the highest elevation. Lovers Leap, Jamaica, with an elevation of 558 metres (1739 ft) is generally mentioned as the winner. But that has changed. A brand new lighthouse was recently built and the elevation of its light is no less than 2046 metres (6712 ft). The elevation may sound incredible, so is the location. The tower is built in Tujetsch/Sedrun, a village in the Swiss Alps. The building is an exact replica of the former low light of Hoek van Holland in the Netherlands. Tujetsch/Sedrun is situated at the source of the river Rhine, and Hoek van Holland is found at the end, where it mouthes in the North Sea. The village wanted to tell the 50 million people living along the river, that they have to visit the source of it at least once in their life. There's also a plan to sail the carrier Rheinquelle (Rhine Source) to Basel, saw it in parts there, and transport it to the new lighthouse.
The old low light of Hoek van Holland lost its function in the 1970's, when new industrial area was reclaimed from the North Sea and a new system of navigation lights became neccessary. It was later replaced to the Maritime Museum in Rotterdam. The old high light is still on it's original location and houses the greatest (not the biggest) collection of lighthouse equipment I've ever seen.

The lighthouse in the Maritime Museum (Photo found at http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:Rotterdam_-_Havenmuseum_vuurtoren_bij_nacht.jpg)
Last edited by LeadingLight on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks for that info Frans. The Hoek van Holland light is a frequent entry in the ILLW event. Is the new one just an ornament or will it be functional do you know. I gather it will just be a show piece from your description. My reason for asking is that I accept only lighthouses that are or have been active aids to navigation and have been listed as such.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LeadingLight » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:29 am

It will definitely not be an active aton, due to the lack of any sea in the Alpes 8)
The original is no active aton either. Both old Hoek van Holland lights are no longer operational since the 1970's. The new ugly concrete lighthouse "Maasvlakte" that replaced the Hoek van Holland light in the 1970's, will or has already lost its function, now that again new parts of the North Sea will be reclaimed. I have not heard yet if that light will be replaced.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks Frans.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LeadingLight » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:58 pm

The lighthouse transported to its location. Looking at the photo I presume they did not use cast iron :roll:

And there it is: the highest light in the world

Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:39 pm

We have its twin here in Western Australia at North Mole:-

Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:14 am

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion