|

Buckeye Lake

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Grover » Fri May 13, 2011 3:16 am

From The Buckeye Lake Beacon

In other village news:

• Who knew that the Buckeye Lake area has more inland freshwater lighthouses than anywhere else in the United States and possibly the world? Author Ron Schooling does – that’s who! The author is contacting lighthouse owners around the lake, including Baker, as he writes a book about American lighthouses.

“Buckeye Lake could easily change its theme to Inland Lighthouse Capital,” said Schooling, “with the highest concentration of freshwater lighthouses in the nation, even above Lake Havasu, Arizona and California, and above Storm Lake, Iowa.” He believes promoting Buckeye Lake nationally for its lighthouses could improve tourism. “The...promotion would do wonders for Buckeye Lake, especially its central location and that amazing peat bog island with carnivorous plants, orchids and cranberries. My God man, you’ve got it all,” Schooling said in an email to Baker. Buckeye Lake has six lighthouses, one more than Lake Havasu.

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Fri May 13, 2011 6:53 pm

First of all, I don't count Lake Havasu's lighthouses as lighthouses.
Second of all, HOW HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS PLACE???? 8O
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:49 am

Grover wrote:...
From The Buckeye Lake Beacon

In other village news:

• Who knew that the Buckeye Lake area has more inland freshwater lighthouses than anywhere else in the United States and possibly the world?

Silly me, I always thought the Great Lakes held that distinction.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion