|

Lighthouse newsletter

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby LeadingLight » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:28 pm

I frequently send lighthouse news by e-mail to Dutch lighthouse friends. A while ago I started to add English news too. It's not a glossy artwork, but a collection of links to news on the www. Sometimes a few mails in a week, sometimes two or three weeks noting at all. I used to sent the mails from my address book, but now that the number of people who want to get it is increasing, I get trouble with spam filters that consider to many bcc's as risky. So I created a google mailinglist. If you want to receive my mails, just subscribe to that mailinglist by sending an email to vuurtorens+subscribe@googlegroups.com. You will automatically be subscribed then. (Your email won't be read, so additional messages in that mail make no sense). No cost, no registration needed.

When you are subscribed to the mailinglist, you can also post messages yourself, that will be received by all other subscribers. So it may develop to an easy alternative in the "post-lighthousing.net-era".
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Grover » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:13 pm

Subscribed ... thank you!
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:29 am

Wow, Frans, what a great idea ! I used to subscribe to 'Lighthouse News', but that's been inactive now for quite a while. Don't quite know what became of Sue. I did so like the way that site was set up.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby wheland » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 am

I also subscribed but the reply I got brings up a question- will the newsletter also be in what I'm guessing is the Dutch language ?

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:30 am

No problem - go to http://translate.google.com/#

Enter the text or url,works quite well.
Fred
Keeper

Postby island » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 am

Jeg har tjekket det ud. Denne side ser ud til at fungere ganske godt.
Men det har problemer med Downeast Maine accent . :? :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LeadingLight » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Don't wurry. Ze njoozlettr will be in ze one end unly ovizial Dunglizj.

Well, to be serious, the mailinglist will be written in the language that is used by the one who is posting. As most of the news is in English, most of the links will lead to English news. There may be a few lines in Dutch now and then, but the main language will be English. And since every subscriber is authorized to post too (so Grover... go ahead 8) ), feel free to send you own contributions, in English, Danish, Dutch or whatever.

@Dennis: I added a translation to the footer of the messages that are sent by the mailinglist, but I forgot to do so with the welcome mail. Will change that now.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby wheland » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:31 am

LeadingLight wrote:Don't wurry. Ze njoozlettr will be in ze one end unly ovizial Dunglizj.

Well, to be serious, the mailinglist will be written in the language that is used by the one who is posting. As most of the news is in English, most of the links will lead to English news. There may be a few lines in Dutch now and then, but the main language will be English. And since every subscriber is authorized to post too (so Grover... go ahead 8) ), feel free to send you own contributions, in English, Danish, Dutch or whatever.

@Dennis: I added a translation to the footer of the messages that are sent by the mailinglist, but I forgot to do so with the welcome mail. Will change that now.

Thanks. I see now that I've gotten several e-mails how the situation is handled.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion