|

Urgent: Help needed

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby LeadingLight » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:52 am

A friend of mine sometimes sends me a photo of a lighthouse, hoping I do not know which one it is. Most times it cost me no more than half an hour to find it, but this time he really made it difficult. Any idea which light this is?

Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:21 am

I can't find it in any of my data here, Frans but it definitely looks European, French or Italian is my guess.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LeadingLight » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:58 am

Yeah, that's what I think too. The brick balcony is special, and the smooth fence indicates a western country. The photographer wanted to make it difficult and shot it in a way that no environmental hints were visible :cry:
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby island » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:13 pm

My time tested methods have thus far failed to identify this lighthouse. From the many photos I have viewed in this quest I believe there is a Spanish influence in the design. (The Spanish Colonial Faro de Cabo Bojeador in the Philippines is strikingly similar.)

There is one environmental (or geographic) hint. I believe this lighthouse is most likely located in comparative higher latitudes because there are bird nests of mud below the edge of the dwelling roof. The birds that build these migrate to higher latitudes (above 30 degrees) in early summer to build their hemispherical nests on the edges of cliffs and under the eaves of houses. Because they winter in South America they are less common in Europe.

The fence seems out of place with the building architecture. The optics are located high in the lantern and noted is a blackened panel in one side of the lantern. I wonder what is the contents and purpose of the compressed gas cylinder.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LeadingLight » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks, Island. The nest may be a hint indeed. Do you know the name of the birds that build them? Swallows build nests a similar way (here in our shed for example).
The way the red sector panels are located may mean the light is on an island. It sounds logical to build the light at the shore side and the dwelling at the inland side. If that is done here, it means there are red sectors at the inland side, so there has to be water at that side of the light too.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby LeadingLight » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:07 am

Yeah... found it. Thanks to everybody who send suggestions and tips. The answer finally came from Christian Lagerwey from the Swedish lighthouse service. It's Stora Karlsö in Sweden. From what I could see on the photo, I already thought it could be Northern Europe, so I did search for Swedish lighthouses on islands, but this one was very well hidden on the internet. Now that I know the name, it's no problem any longer to find a photo, so here's the prove

(found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalasjocke/4774863573/)
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby clm1950 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:37 am

It's a beautiful Lighthouse ...
clm1950
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby island » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:40 am

Thankfully you solved this. It has been driving me to distraction. I missed this photo in searching many pages Fickr lighthouse photos for the tower being behind the house. The elevation of the focal plane (184 ft) and proximity to the high vertical cliff is perhaps why the optics (4th order Fresnel) is high in the lantern. From knowing the name there are many interesting photos of this light that can be found in Google images

Your bird question -- it is the cliff swallow that builds mud nests attached to vertical surfaces of structures. Barn swallows build mud nests on horizontal surfaces structural braces and beams inside open sheds or barns.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:49 pm

G'day Island,

Nice to see you up and about again. I also spent quite some time looking for this lighthouse. It's not in my data base so I had no luck there. The fact that it has been painted white didn't help either.
Thanks for that little puzzle Frans, I enjoy those challenges.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion