|

Lighthouse Preservation "Discussed" On Frommer's

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby wheland » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:05 am

There isn't much discussion and while they pick some nice lighthouses they aren't the ones that really need to be discussed on the subject of preservation.

http://www.frommers.com/slideshow/?group=643

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby tinypiney » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:55 am

Morris Island, maybe...
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby wheland » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 am

Well it does depend on how you interpret the topic title.

All of the lights shown are undergoing or have undergone a restoration but to me when I read that title I was thinking they would show some that are in need of some angels to help preserve them.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby island » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:48 pm

--in need of some angels to help preserve them.

Maybe not angels, but perhaps school children to get the ball rolling, to light the fire as happened with the current preservation effort with White Island Light Station. This light station was neglected by the Coast Guard and then by the State of N.H for 14 years. Basic maintenance and repair if accomplished as needed was a significant challenge and costly on this off-shore island with very difficult access. This light station was rapidly deteriorating from exposure to Atlantic Coast storms. Its days were numbered. Destruction from continual storm damage was eminent.

Then along came a group of 7th grade school children who did what the adult population was unable to do, the adult population sitting on their hands waiting for someone to do something. It was the children who began a several year effort raising funds for the preserving this light station. And the children, the Lighthouse Kids succeeded. The light station has now been and will continue to be repaired and preserved.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion