|

There is NO forum for Nebraska lights ...

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Grover » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:02 am

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 am

Aw, there should be... I've never heard of the Linoma Beach lighthouse. It's not even in the Lighthouse Directory. :(
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Linoma Lighthouse seems not to be listed 8O in Light List V5 (Mississippi River System) though only 25 miles from the Missouri River and a couple of miles from the Platte River. No problem on the glass with salt from ocean spray but it looks like it has no lantern glass. However, Salt Creek is not too distant.

Not surprising Linoma is listed in the Lighthouse Digest Lighthouse Explorer. 8O Boat's light Eternal Sea Memorial Lighthouse is listed. :yay: (The only thing Harrison does not list is lighthouse lawn ornaments, to date at least. :? -- but maybe I missed these.)

The Linoma tower is 100 feet high and on land that is about 1090 feet above sea level, thus with a visible range of about 40 miles. Definitely one of the highest above sea level in the U.S.

The lamp is a Hewitt Lamp. (American, Peter Cooper Hewitt (1861-1921) patented (U.S. patent 889,692) the first mercury vapor lamp in 1901. The low pressure mercury arc lamp of Peter Cooper Hewitt is the very first prototype of today's modern fluorescent lights.)The Linoma lamp is several curved fluorescent bulbs in a horizontal plane with no lens :( but the light in the tower is now extinguished.) At one time during WWII it exhibited a flashing light with a characteristic of three flashes, two short and one long denoting the letter V for Victory. (The Hooper Strait lens currently in the light tower is a fourth-order Fresnel that "blinks" out the Morse code of "C"..."B"..."M"..."M" -- the acronym for the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. There may be others exhibiting Morse Code.)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion