|

Mystery Lighthouse is it real?

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Fred » Tue May 01, 2012 5:04 am

I have a drawing of a lighthouse,anybody recognise it or is it made up

Fred
Keeper

Postby tinypiney » Tue May 01, 2012 11:20 am

Looks made up to me, but if it's a real one, it's one from your side of the pond...
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue May 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi Fred,

I suspect it's made up as a lighthouse of that size would normally be on the ocean shore and if that's the case with this one those houses are definitely too close to the water. It looks like a lake scene to me which wouldn't warrant a large tower such as this one.

I hope you have an answer to your question. I'm curious. :lol:
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue May 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Would suggest the lighthouse and location as depicted existed only in the mind of the artist. And his little sailboat is about ready to run aground. The tower is far to large by comparison to the dwellings which is typical of a lot of lighthouse art work. It might well have been inspired by an actual lighthouse but was presented with a considerable degree of artistic license.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Wed May 02, 2012 5:51 am

Artistic license, of course!
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby Fred » Thu May 03, 2012 2:37 am

Thankyou for the replies,there was just the faint chance that it might have been based on a real lighthouse?
Fred
Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Thu May 03, 2012 4:39 am

Don't despair Fred, it could have been based on this lighthouse in Wales. They do look like welsh or cornish houses in your picture.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Sun May 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Yeah, I was looking at the houses- that's why I said it was probably on your side of the ocean.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Sun May 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Fred.

No doubt the person who created this drawing was inspired by a lighthouse or lighthouses in general and that person or someone who knew that person might provide some specific information that might identify the lighthouse.

Do you know the name of the artist and date of this drawing? Is it an original or a copy? I note there is no artist name or initials.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Fred » Tue May 08, 2012 1:43 am

Dave
The picture is on a birthday card I received,the person giving it asked was it based on a real lighthouse,having my doubts was the reason for the question.
There are no details of artist etc.
Fred
Keeper

Postby sheilmolson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:16 am

I think it is only drawing but may be there must be a real place because no one can make a drawing without directly seeing the original lighthouse so someone must have seen the lighthouse and then drew on paper. To make drawing is difficult but if any architecture is seen directly then drawing can be made easily. What do you think? Is it real or created any drawing?
sheilmolson
Visitor

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion