|

Lighthouse Identity

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby island » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:51 pm

This image is the USS Despatch, the first presidential yacht and that was wrecked on the Maryland Coast on Asseteague Island in 1891. The location of this photo is unknown. In the photo behind the foremast is a lighthouse that I have not identified. Any idea what light this is? It is likely somewhere on the New England or Mid-Atlantic Coast

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Still remaining to be identified. It is in some harbor, the ship being anchored. And for a ceremonial event, thus the many flags. There appears to be numerous structures on the land visible in the background at the right side of the photo.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:02 am

The main reason it may remain unidentified is that the image does not appear. It just says image in the original post.

At least when I access the post, that is.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby island » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am

There is something unusual here. The image was clearly displayed when I previewed this item. Yesterday I viewed this post and there was no image so later I came back to add the image and found it was displayed. ???? I did not think this to be a stealth ship from this era.

So I am posting it again.Image

And now for re-posting in this reply the image has now re-appeared in my initial post. ??? #-o

This is the source site; http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/86/86153.htm

I do have a theory. The photo was posted in the U.S. and then goes to main frame in Canada. When calling it back to the US the CG or TSS is intercepting this ship 8O to conduct inspection for contraband.

Maybe I need to apply some spray glue for images I post.

Also visible on the horizon to the left of the foremast is a tall structure resembling a light tower.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Came on to check again and the image no longer displays in either location as it did earlier today when I posted it a second time. Obviously I have no idea what is behind this. I also don't know if the same thing might have happened with other images posted elsewhere on this board. Upon previewing this post I note the image now displays in the two locations.

This is the image url
http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/86/098615301.jpg
So try posting it as a reply below to see what happens.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:00 am

This morning not image showed. I clicked on the image url posted above and images all came up on the board and also in my messages where I posted the image as a test and in a pm to Kevin on this subject. I suspect there is something different with the image url that may explain why thedisplayed image comes and goes.

As a test, two aqdditional images from the same site:

The urls are;
http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/86/098615303.jpg
http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/86/098604902.jpg

Now it seems these urls no longer function.
Last edited by island on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:23 am

This is a test to see if the url works with my post. It does. The lighthouse looks like Holland in Michigan.

Last edited by Kevin vk2ce on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:29 am

Kevin---Could not display this image until I clicked on the appropriate link posted above then it and the other of the same above then appeared.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:51 am

Dave,
One reason for the missing image is that the server might have a bar on hotlinking. This is a practice which is considered as bandwidth theft. The practice is exactly what you are doing here, ie downloading a picture from someone else's web site and therefore using their bandwidth. Every time that picture is loaded here it consumes 212kbs of the owner's bandwidth. The ban on hotlinking may have a glitch which would account for the pic coming and going.

My reply crossed with yours Dave. Don't know the answer to your question but at least I found your lighthouse.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:57 am

Kevin,

Regarding the lighthouse I am quite sure you are correct that it is Holland. I took a look at maps of the area and the associated land seen in the ship photo quite well matches this location.

Further to this the tall lighthouse visible in the ship photo in the distance appears to be Grand Haven to the north of Holland and that object further to the left that appears to be on the deck of the ship may be the lighthouse at the outer end of the GH breakwater.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Looks like those images have disappeared again. Mine is still there as I uploaded it to my own server but the hotlinked ones are not showing up. Weird.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:06 pm

It now seems none of the image urls posted above still function as well as that for the source website.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Oh dear! Looks like it's crashed.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:43 am

Can blame the lighthouse service as the Navy did when the Despatch was wrecked. Said a lightship failed to properly show its red light. My reconstruction of the event says otherwise, a navigation error by the captain when he failed to apply to his navigation chart the bearing line of the red light he observed. It appears he did not see the lightship because he was not within visible range of its light. When the captain saw a red light he immediately headed for. It was in fact a lighthouse white light appearing red at a distance.

In this investigation I simply did what he should have done, I constructed this bearing line on the chart with the line passing thought the lightship location. It did not fit. However, it did fit the point on the chart of the location of the lighthouse. I determined this bearing which was to be his heading from the bearing of the lighthouse from the point where the ship was wrecked. And then from the time/distance of travel at the speed reported to be 8 knots determined his approximate distance from the lighthouse when it was first observed. The ship had been traveling south for nearly three hours in easterly gale force winds from the last landmark observed thus the ship was displaced westerly from the intended tract, and at or beyond the lightship range of visibility in good viewing conditions but not existing that night. This bearing was southwesterly. The lightship was southeast. From the direction of the bearing and his subsequent course heading the captain should have realized it could not be the lightship. This he did not realize until the red changed to orange and then began to show white but by then it was too late.-- the notorious killing shoals of Assateague claimed yet another ship, the latest of its many victims.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:52 am

I don't think this is Holland at all! It looks more like a lighthouse that would be in New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut to me... and it looks insanely familiar! It looks a tiny bit like Saugerties, but not quite.
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Next

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion