|

Lighthouse Identity

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:23 pm

You could be correct Tiny. I'm an Aussie so I'm only guessing. Roundout Creek is a similar design as well.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:02 am

These two are possibilities but how far could the 200-ft Despatch with 12.5 draft navigate up the Hudson River? I believe it could. Paddle wheel steam ships did go quite far up the river but they were shallow draft but the side-wheelers were of deeper draft and the ran to Albany, one the ADIRONDACK was 400-ft long with 12-ft draft. But would there be the open and flat terrain at either location as is apparent in the ship picture?
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby mylights » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:41 pm

When the schip is on the north side of the lighthouse, it could be the Saugerties lighthouse. Then the background is almost empty.
The gutter on the left site on the picture is similar as Saugerties (not like Roundout Creek)
mylights
mylights
Keeper

Postby tinypiney » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:28 pm

I know I said it looked like Saugerties, but I think it's a tad too tall... It just looks like the style they have in New York.
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:28 pm

I believe this is likely Saugerties in the photo. I looked at nav. charts and there is ample water for the ship in the river. I have sent an email to the folks at this website with photo included asking for their opinion.There are a couple of really good photos of Saugerties here. http://www.saugertieslighthouse.com/

It does look somewhat like Holland but it is not likely this ship would have gone on a journey to the Great Lakes to not be easily available for other needs.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby mylights » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:43 pm

An other similar lighthouse is
Cedar Island Lighthouse.
It is located within the Cedar Point County Park in East Hampton, New York.
mylights
mylights
Keeper

Postby island » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:23 pm

I received a response from the Saugerties folks who think this lighthouse is not theirs but possibly Roundout Creek. They also provided a date of a celebration in the area when they thought the Despatch may have participated. Unfortunately the date was some years after this ship was wrecked.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 pm

It's not Rondout. Look at the shape of the roof/gutter. And Cedar Island is a good guess.
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:35 am

Saugerties option: The view in the photo is from upriver looking down for land on the right and open water on the left. From maptech.com, this lighthouse is located on a spit of land on the north side of the creek entrance. There is a similar spit of land on the south side of the creek. All well and good but from photos on Marinas.com the side of the lighthouse in view in the ship photo is the south side facing downriver. not upriver. One might conclude from this the negative may have been upside down when the picture of the ship was produced.

Cedar Point option: This lighthouse was a spit of land extending eastly but I could find no phots to indicate the orientation of the lighthouse that I could relate to the orientation of the ship photo.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby mylights » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:57 am

Lighthouse Friends has a picture looking like this one.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=737

and on Lighthouse Digest too

http://www.lighthousedigest.com/Digest/StoryPage.cfm?StoryKey=809

The schip could be on the north of the lighthouse in the bay.
mylights
mylights
Keeper

Postby island » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:19 am

Most recent from my Saugerties contact;
This is the light that was at Rondout until 1915--
Attachments
rondoutcreek2_2005.jpg
rondoutcreek2_2005.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Thanks to the research efforts of the folks at Saugerties the identity of this lighthouse has been discovered.

David,
The lighthouse in your photo of the Despatch is likely the Bergen Point Lighthouse, located in Bayonne, NJ at the junction of Newark Bay and the Kill Von Kull, which is a mile or two east of Elizabethport, NJ (see photo below). The lighthouse was built in 1857 and torn down after the Kill Von Kull was widened in 1949.
http://www.njlhs.org/njlight/bergenpoint.html

Your Despatch photo was likely taken on April 29th, 1889, during the Presidential Centennial Celebration. [The 1789 Inaugaration of Pres. Washington] The program for the celebration describes how the Despatch anchored within a mile of Elizabethtown, NJ to await the arrival of President Harrison's launch, which would put the Dispatch close to the Bergen Point Lighthouse while at anchor. Once the president was aboard, the Despatch headed along the Kill Von Kull to New York Harbor, retracing the route of George Washington on his way to the first presidential inauguration in New York City.

As quoted from the Centennial Celebration program:
"The officials of the Centennial Committee have decided to board the President's yacht at an early hour Monday morning, April 29. The vessel will then leave her mooring at the Brooklyn Navy-yard and steam towards Elizabethport .... After the Despatch is anchored within one mile of Elizabethport, a number of small but swift steam launches of the Herreshoff type will be lowered and put in order to receive Presidential party." Once the President is aboard "the Despatch's bow will be swung about and headed down the Kill von Kull towards New York Bay."

See the Illustrated programme of the centennial celebration in New York, April, 1889
http://books.google.com/books?id=0aM-AAAAYAAJ&lpg=PA12&ots=9trqKG5AWg&dq=1889%20despatch%20%22centennial%20celebration%22%20anchor&pg=PA9#v=onepage&q&f=false

I hope that solves the mystery. This was a fun discovery. Thank you for this chance to do some historical sleuthing. The resemblance of the Bergen Point Lighthouse to the Saugerties Lighthouse may actually help answer a question I had about the architects who made the original design, since Bergen Point is a decade earlier and is apparently a precursor.

All the best,
Patrick
Attachments
!cid_AA5AB40B-3113-4920-A531-9115B5302527.jpg
!cid_AA5AB40B-3113-4920-A531-9115B5302527.jpg (34.09 KiB) Viewed 4359 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am

See, when I first saw this post, I immediately took out my copy of Lost Lighthouses and found Bergen Point in it. I thought it couldn't be Bergen Point because Bergen Point looked too detailed and fancy to be the lighthouse in the photo. And also I thought it looked more familiar than that. Of course, now I realized that the picture wasn't high enough quality for that to matter. :lol: Furthermore, I can't find any details that would prove it not to be Bergen Point, so I think they're right.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:15 am

A significant clue that I missed in the ship photo---this "unknown" lighthouse was painted white. Not so for Saugerties, Rondout, Holland, and Cedar Point. And also Stuyvesant and Coxackie also on the Hudson.
Last edited by island on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Yeah, the house is white and the lighthouse is much darker, meaning they do not match and the lighthouse is brick...so it's Bergen.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Previous

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion