|

Gift wrapped lighthouse

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:48 am

During the International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend I usually go to Greencape Lighthouse which is about 50 miles South of my home town. The Parks and Wildlife Service has decided to renovate the tower and the three rentable cottages. The area around the tower is closed to the public until October.

I have never seen a gift wrapped lighthouse before.

This is waht is normally looks like:-
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:00 am

A great temptation to photo shop this image to add a nice red ribbon and bow. :) I would have done so by my "picture fix up" program is not presently operational.

And the thought has occurred to me a quick way to paint a tower would be to enclose it as in the photo and then detonate a large containers of paint using a charges C4 but being most careful not too much C4 in which case the tower would never need again to be painted.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:57 pm

I think that photo typifies todays overindulgence in health and safety regulations. About 10 year ago the lightkeeper who lived at Greencape, Mark Sheriff, was a keen artist and loved painting anything he could lay his hands on. He painted that tower single handed using a bosun's chair slung from the widow's walk using a brush and paint pot. He told me the day he did the cupola it was so windy it blew the paint off the brush. He did tend to overstate things. Here's a small sample of his work on the old telegraph station near the tower:-

Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:01 pm

I doing a considerable amount of research of the light systems of the U.S., England and France that involved reading detailed records and meeting notes of such I have yet to find though not specifically seeking it an instance where keeper fell from the outside of a tower. Not that it might not have happened but an accident of such would have become a subject for discussion and thus recorded in meeting notes. Some keepers had incidents inside on the stairs but usually a misstep or a slippery spot, not while doing inside maintenance. And one keeper died when pulled into a revolving compressor wheel when his shirt contacted the moving rubber belt between motor and compressor. At least two were injured by the explosion of the lamp kerosene vapor when the earlier low flash point kerosene was in use. On the other hand, all too many drowned and sometimes also family members, when getting on or off the shore of their station or in transit in a small boat and likewise to and from lightships. At light stations landing a small boat on a boat ramp was at times with storm waves extremely dangerous.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:41 pm

The first time I visited Greencape I was really amazed at the lack of communication ability available to the keeper. There was no direct phone line, no radio as such (I was a ham radio operator remember so I notice these things). The only comms thing was an antiques phone thing that worked when you wound the handle around. Mobile phones didn't work there.
I took the matter up with the Parks and Wildlife people and suggested a VHF radio link be established with the Coast Guard station at Eden some 20 miles away to the South. With that facility the keeper could listen to the shipping traffic as wel as direct ships away from the coast near the lighthouse. Believe it or not they did install such a system.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:04 am

A lighthouse? For me? Oh, you shouldn't have! :roll:
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:14 pm

I'm glad you like it Tiny. :lol:

Coincidentally I just received an entry for the ILLW event in August from an American amateur who is going to your lighthouse, Piney.
How about that.
His name is Raymond Brown.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:25 am

A lighthouse? For me? Oh, you shouldn't have!

So sorry. No one said to home at time of delivery and with pastage due on receipt this item was to be returned to the sender by the freight company. We are presently attempting to locate this item. Unfortunately the freight company address was found to be a vacant lot, their phone has been disconnected and their post office box was that of a mail forwarding company.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Bummer! :( I would really love a lighthouse.
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm

If I had a lighthouse I would deliver it to you in person. Lighthouses have cost me lots of time doing research when I might have been better doing something more constructive. Right now there is a ten page draft on a subject that I have many hours for the process of discovery for this thing. It includes the lights down your way; Fenwick, Assateague, Hog Island (now gone) and Cape Charles. Have you ever been to Assateague Island to see the light and to enjoy the ocean shore and see the wild horses?

I would gladly give you a lighthouse for I have had the fortunate experience of living a three of them before they were automated. And now with no keepers they are not the lighthouses I once knew. It is like going back to your childhood home and finding only a cold empty house. Not a good feeling at all. It is sadness of a special sort for what was once there is gone, all gone, forever gone but for only memories.

This lighthouse in the picture is Whitehead, once my family home, my grandfather the head keeper. --- The house in the foreground was where we lived. My room was upstairs at the right end with the open window. The two assistant keepers lived in the double house near the tower. The building to the left was once the one room school but before my time there.

That which remains now is the tower, school, double house and the brick fog signal building on the shore. Our family home is gone except for an empty hole surrounded by the remains of the stone foundation. This photo was taken from the Coast Guard watch tower, now also gone, the CG station located elsewhere on the island. One could see many miles from that tower, and at night the lights of Two Bush, Monhegan, Matinicus Rock, Owls Head, Browns Head, Heron Neck and sometimes Saddleback. And you could see the lume above Rockland Breakwater as as its lens rotated. Also the lighthouse at Tenants Harbor during day being no longer lit exept for a small light, and numbers of lighted buoys. And there was a bell buoy offshore from the fog signal building just outside the range of this photo. Going to sleep with the sound of the bell was much more pleasant then that from the two fog horns accompanied by the distant more mellow horn at Two Bush only a mile to the left from this photo. But I do miss them, the buoys and the horns. There were lots of boats big and small that passed by this being the southern entrance to West Penobscot.

Yes, if I had a lighthouse I would give it to you for I know you would enjoy it and treasure it and that would give me enjoyment also.
Attachments
WH view from lookout tower.JPG
WH view from lookout tower.JPG (135.67 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 pm

Now I know where the term "Rock Garden" came from.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Dave, that sounds so cool - I've always wanted to live in Maine. I'm glad you care :) , that'd be the best present ever!

And no, I haven't yet been to Assateague! I've only seen Cape Henry and New Point Comfort in VA, and a couple more offshore lighthouses from a distance. But I plan on seeing Jones Point before the summer's over, maybe.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 pm

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:12 am

I haven't even ever been to the Eastern Shore! I never seem to travel inside my own state. And there are so many places I want to go!
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion