|

Board Activity

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby island » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:33 pm

(posted here for lack of appropriate place)

Board Activity (Excluding General Forum).

Most Active Topics: General, International, Great Lakes.
Most Active Posts: General, Great Lakes, Southeast

I did not include Photograpy. The posts were disproportionatly high compared to topics for both photography forums. This impacted by the enthusiam on the part of two or three members in earlier year no longer active. And also there was not a clear distinction between these forums as apparent from the posts and replys.

Regarding reply activity, totals by topic are not readily available to me other than to add these up page by page for each topic. Such an effort exceeds my curiosity.

For replays to a single topic, Boats is by far the leader This topic ongoing for nearly six years. I was also surprized to note this was my most active topic, 29 posts ---twenty-nine times ringing his bell, (cooincidently one each for every man lost on the Edmond Fitzgerald)

Posting on this board is much like a radio program where you know someone is listening but who and how many you do not know. With radio you have an indication from polls, on here from views. With radio perhaps hate mail but that is far less likely here, and for me, none so far. A broadcaster might make statements just to provoke some of his audience to respond by calls or letter and now by emails. On this board I have tried such on a few occsasions. It did not work regarding replys but for one or two rare exceptions and this by plan to provoke a specific member to respond such as the quote posted from a lighthouse inspector who stated reasons he believed women were not qualified to be keepers. Fighting words!!

So whats the point of this? Curiosity and more significantly, interest in the continued viability of LH.net
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:33 pm

island wrote:So whats the point of this? Curiosity and more significantly, interest in the continued viability of LH.net

As I've said a few times before, I plan on keeping this site online. It is not a major cost for me (in fact, it has effectively no impact on my web hosting package).

I believe that there are multiple reasons for the decreased popularity:

1-Due to lack of upgrades, this site went downhill over the past few years. There isn't a lot of an incentive to hang around an outdated website.
2-In-fighting amongst the members. Reading through some of the 'reported posts' after I gained access to the Admin Panel revealed a lot. I was surprised by it, but I now understand why so many of the old hands left.
3-Popularity of social media. Most discussion boards that I am a member of have seen a drop in activity, so this isn't unexpected. I would presume that the economy has something to do with it as well. That being said, LH.net has been hit especially hard
4 - Influx of spammers. The previous spambot countermeasures were totally ill-suited for the magnitude of this problem. As a result, spammers had free-reign of the board and flooded most of the subforums. Today I have put strong countermeasures in place, and as a result we haven't had an active spammer in months. Some might say that this negatively impacts any potential new members, but lets face it:
-These are few and far between
-There is an option to contact the site admin if you can't read the captcha code

Just to be clear, I am not pointing the finger at anyone -- these are just some observations. For whatever reason many of the old members chose not to return once the site was under new management, despite a mass-email I sent out talking about site upgrades, changes, etc.

Just to emphasize that this website is not a lost cause: there are over 3000 visitors each month to the site, with an average visit time of several minutes. These are not spam bots (for one -- if they were, the average visit time would be very short), but people browsing past topics. As others have said, this site has primarily become a knowledge depository.
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 am

What I posted above was basically my observation from the numbers displayed on the Board Index page and noting where there was the most activity. But these numbers were totals of several years and do not represent most current activity. Regarding replays the totals of these would indicate the topics generating the most interest but here also not reflective of current interests.

I am interested to lean more about the tracking of average visit time. Is this by member? I think perhaps I might have impacted this number for I often fail to log off and other times I might commence a replay and not immediately complete it should I be seeking added information and some of my "creations" prepared on here and after review reworded or whatever. (This post was interupted by two phone calls.)

Regarding this site being a knowledge depository I have an abundance of lighthouse service history stuff that I have not posted and much from research and combining information from a variety of sources. This for my interest in the lighthouse service, not just lighthouses. But, I am somewhat uncomfortable seeing "island" in so many places much like spam. Might be appropriate if I had one place to post. to deposit my history "junk" [island's dumpster?] #-o and not spread it all over the board.

"Nuf for now.
David
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:22 pm

David;

Here's some of the statistics for the past month. Maine contributed about 100 visitors, of that about 70% were from Portland, 20% from Jay and the rest from Biddeford, East Machias and Westbrook. Portland had a average time-on-site of 8 minutes, while Jay had about 20 minutes.

On the other hand Barry contributed about 100 visits alone, with an average time-on-site of about 6 minutes.

The US is by far the largest contributor (about 67% of the visits), followed by Australia (about 9%), Canada (about 7%) the Isle of Man (3%), the UK (2%). Rounding out the list, there's the rest of Western Europe, Eastern Europe and Southern Europe.

About 5% of the visits come from 'Location not Set'. These are most likely our spammers.

The visitors to the site are down this month, and a lot of this is likely to do with the technical difficulties we were having.
-----

MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Interesting numbers. Maine 100 visitors. By that you mean the source of 100 visits? I wonder who that Jay person could be. :) Some meat head who forgets to log off or interupted posting times, occasionaly gets timed out before submitting so they activate select and copy so they won't have to start all over again should time out happens.

I also believe I know the source in two other Maine towns listed and the 7% from Canada.
I also wonder if there may be a seasonal impact on the board visit activity, outside activities in warmer months.

Do you think if more lighthouse history stuff was to be posted it might attract more visits? I am certainly willing to do so.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 am

What about Indiana ? :P

I bet I'm the only one from here who checks in anymore. But seriously....

When I joined nearly 4 years ago, I was on the tail-end of the last real active wave, from 2009 to 2011. Still, I was able to put up a thousand posts during my time on here. And that was because I got to meet a bunch of really interesting and helpful people on here. I gained a lot of tips and knowledge about my area of Great Lakes Lights, and found out about some minor lights I would have otherwise missed had not someone posted them up for me here. In all, Lighthousing.net has just made everything more special.

What sorts of upgrades could have kept people hanging around ? My only problem was being able to post pictures, as I don't put them on other social media first to link them....So I had to post them as attachments, and always ran into the size problem. My late wife had a resize program on her computer and she would shrink for me, but I have no idea what that program was or where it's at on that old computer now. Otherwise, I'm just posting words, back and forth, give and take with those on here, and that is 95% of what a message board is all about, IMO.

I believe I missed much of the in-fighting of which you speak, I believe there was a tussle right before I joined. However, I'm not a fighter, just a light lover, and a message board isn't life or death. The real trials is what happens in real life, such as I have had to deal with in the past year & a half, the loss of my two most beloved people, my mother and my wife. When there is real tragedy, it tends to put things into real perspective.

I will agree that message boards have seen a huge drop of late...I am just on a couple others myself, and they are suffering just about the same fate. It may be that society is moving on to other things, but be that as it may, I'm not going. I like message boards just fine. When they're gone....Well, I might be also.

As for spam...This site has, since I've been on anyway...not that much a problem with it. This is probably due to the admins constantly staying on top of it. I know how it is....I moderate another board, and up until last summer, I was working everyday, about an hour, to run all the new signup's Email addys through places like StopFourmSpam and the like. I'd usually ban 5-10 spammers a day. Two other mods and an admin were doing the same. It got a lot better with the addition of a new spam filter last August, and hardly any show up now.

And you know....Island can post where ever he likes. I enjoy reading his stuff. In fact, the very great majority of people who have been on this site, past and present, are like the Intellectual Wizards of the Lighthouse World. Wouldn't change a thing there, no sir.

And Boats ? He's just about everyone's favorite fellow....Now don'cha think ? :mrgreen:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby island » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:19 pm

In thinking about it I guess I will add some "freight" to the Lighhouse History forum. It might serve to enable some folks to learn more about the lighthouses and the lighthouse service and not only what was done by why. And the things that worked and things that didn't.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:21 am

CHUCKX53 wrote:What about Indiana ? :P

Indiana sent us only 10 visits over the past month -- but of that, 8 came from Lafayette, with an average time-on-site of 36 minutes 49 seconds (!). I wonder who that could be? :wink:

For those interested, here are the most popular cities:

Sydney, AUS (8%)
Portlant, ME (7%)
Ocean Grove, NJ (6%)
Burlington, ON (~5%)
London, UK (3%)
Hialeah, FL (2%)
Grand Rapids, MI (2%)
San Bernadino, CA (2%)

David: Post away! As I said, I have no intention of taking this site offline, so you don't have to worry about your work being lost.

I've been thinking about the next steps for LH.net over the past few days. Keeping in mind my goal of taking LH.net back to a 'full' website, and given the substance of your posts, how does a blog-type page sound? You could post your information there, and it would be a bit more structured than the current forum. Ideally this would be accessible right off the main LH.net page.

Remember, nothing is finalized yet...I'm basically just rambling here. Any input is welcome.
-----

MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Surprising that my posting of simple observations would lead to this longer thread.
If sometimes I seem impatient, I don't have all that many years left for going over the hill some years ago.

There is presently a vessel being loaded in my port that soon will be enroute to deliver cargo to the Lighthouse History forum, some perhaps of value and some likely not.

I guess there are those who once were active on this board who now visit occasionally and finding things of interest may be compelled to visit more often. And to those folks, you have not been forgotten. We are still holding a place for you at the LH.net table.

Regarding blog-type, I have viewed a few but have not an opinion for not having participated in such.

David
island
Lt. Commissioner

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion