|

the first one automated lighthouse all over the world

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby sunfish » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:58 pm


which one lighthouse is the first one automated lighthouse all over the world ?

is this one ?
New London Harbor lighthouse, Automated : 1912,
and
Fort Jefferson lighthouse, Automated : 1912,
sunfish
1st Assistant Keeper
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:20 pm


Are you referring to Automated by Electricity ?
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
User avatar
CHUCKX53
Inspector
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:42 am
Location: Central INDIANA

Postby sunfish » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:57 pm


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_London_Harbor_Light
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_Key_Light

that is en.wiki said,
Automated 1912,

I do not think so ?
sunfish
1st Assistant Keeper
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Postby island » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:01 am


New London Harbor and Garden Key were illuminated by acetylene and night/day controlled by a Daylan sunvalve.

The Statue of Liberty is stated to be the first in the U.S. automated in 1886 with illumination from an electric carbon arc lamp.
island
Lt. Commissioner
 
Posts: 2035
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:00 am

Postby island » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:02 am


New London Harbor and Garden Key were illuminated by acetylene and night/day controlled by a Dalen sunvalve. There are likely other lighthouses in Sweden and the UK that were thusly automated earlier using acetylene and many unmanned lighthouses were constructed at remote locations using sunvalve controlled acetylene illumination

The Statue of Liberty is stated to be the first in the U.S. automated in 1886 with illumination from an electric carbon arc lamp.

Automation of lighthouses began in Scotland as early as 1894, when Oxcars in the middle of the River Forth, just off Granton, had its two lightkeepers withdrawn. The light was converted from oil to gas (coal gas?) delivered weekly and controlled by a clockwork timer to turn the light. An attending boatman delivered the gas from Granton Gasworks and wound up the timer during a weekly visit.

The lighthouses with electrical incandescent were not automated until after 1928 when the automatic bulb changer had been developed.
island
Lt. Commissioner
 
Posts: 2035
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:00 am


Return to General Lighthouse Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron