|

"Lighthouse God"

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:56 am

I've kept this in my private message OUTBOX ... today makes one year

To: plebetkin
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:41 pm
Subject: Re: September 25

Peter,

Sorry to hear of this latest ailment. People say it is one of the most intense pains there is. Amazing they are making you wait until Friday to see the doctor.

The weather is supposed to be just about perfect once tomorrow's front blows through ... going to be missing you. We'll have to think of another way to hook up before the weather turns cold.

Rest easy and try to stay as comfotable as possible. Will be thinking of you when I see the faces of Ross, Shirin and Leah Friday.

Stay in touch.

Barry

For those who remember, Jeremy (Keeper) organized a tour out of Stonington (Me) last October 1st. I had never met Peter yet felt I knew him so well. With Connecticut laying between Maine and New Jersey, I wrote early on to say, if the trip is of interest to him, I would enjoy being his bunkie for the weekend ...

The summer passed and we spoke in general terms ... Come the first of September the talks got more serious ... and then the email from Shirin telling of Peter's turn for the worse ... With Peter's track record, my addle mind didnt equate that with anything other than another temporary setback. After speaking to my wife, I wrote Peter and told him not to worry, that I would take care of everything, that if it were still a go for him, I would take care of all the arrangements and anything out of the ordinary he might need.

He said that sounded great, that he would discuss it with his wife and make a decision. That was on 9/25. I didnt hear from him the next few days so I wrote back early on the 28th ... he wrote back about 3:50 that afternoon that he had developed kidney stones, that the pain was intense, and that the earliest he could see a doctor would be Friday (the 30th). He was sorry ... he looked forward to finally meeting me ... but he would be unable to make the trip.

I wrote back the above note ... it has remained in my OUTBOX a year now, never to be opened ...

Peter was responding to posts and writing emails in this site up to about 400pm that afternoon. He wrote five between 350pm and 404pm ... in the time of Dennis' mom's passing, he ironically wrote this that day ..

... sorry to hear about your loss. It is always a sad day to have a death among our lighthouse community

As many of you know, Peter passed that Saturday, the day of the boat tour ... unknown to us at that time, that night in my room, Sam Adams in tow, Ross, Shirin and I were talking, among other things, of how much Peter would have loved this trip.

I received the news from Judy's (vacastle) post on LH.net as I checked in that Sunday night upon arriving back in NJ ... Checking my email, there was also a note from Shirin ... It's been a loss in my life never having met the man who was almost the soul of this website ... seldom a day goes by that he is not in my thoughts ...

The anniversary of Peter's death falls this year during the High Holy days of the Jewish faith. It is a time of introspection and refelction. Thoughts of Peter will surely cross my mind more than once during this time.

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:48 pm

Hard to believe it's been almost a year now... Peter is still very much missed around here, that's for sure.

Barry, I'm sorry you never got the chance to make the trip with Peter, I'm sure it would have been a great time.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:10 pm

Peter was an integral part of the initial survival of LH.net, then know as the Ultimate Lighthouse Message Board (remember that??!) He'll definitely be missed, I have not removed his account. Even after being gone for a year, he is still the top post holder :)

Later in October, LH.net will celebrate it's 4th year, I'm sure Peter would be glad to know that we're still going strong.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby vacastle » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:56 pm

Barry, thank you for such a lovely tribute and remembrance of Peter.
Peter was as you so beautifully say...
almost the soul of this website ... seldom a day goes by that he is not in my thoughts ...

I'm glad that Ross chose to leave Peter's account open.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:37 pm

Thanks for the words Barry. I think everyone of us who "knew" Peter has some special memory of him. He was one of the first persons I turned to when I was diagnosed with cancer last year and he was a great comfort. Fortunately surgery was able to remove mine but even so, just coming to terms with it was difficult.

I also am pleased that Ross left his name and account on the list, plus his posts which I also go back and read sometimes.
Rest in peace Pete.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:47 am

Peter was the person that got me on this board. It was with his encouragement that I changed my life and moved to Maine.

Everyone morning I say good morning to Peter and ask for his caring and his guidance brother I always wanted. If I could spend one day with one person, I would ask for it to be with Peter. To take him out to Wood Island, walk the beach and listen to him and (listen to him.) He was a very wise man. I miss him so much, I am crying as I am writing this.

Peter did not know about my cancer. I was just finding out about it.

Part of the reason I post so much on this board - is one my ways of keeping Peter's memory alive.

I made mistakes in my friendship with Peter. I did not always stay in touch with him like I should have. I did not want to bother him. I did not always trust him as much as I should have. I am going to admit that I go the ocean and sometimes say out loud, "Peter why did you have to die, you are needed here on earth" I get mad at God and ask why.

Peter, was in pain most of the time I knew him. He wanted to live so much and do so much and he did a great deal while he was alive.

Ross, thank you for keeping Peter's name and information on this board. I cannot stop crying, so forgive me for any mistakes I might have in this posting.

So in closing,

"Good Friends Mean Good Times"
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:09 am

Peter never fades from memory ...

Tomorrow would be the "comp" day ... the first would be the solemn anniversary ... today the date of my last correspondence ... Still in my outbox ... still never to be answered

In my heart and in my head I carry thoughts of Peter daily ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:10 am

I must have joined too late to get to "know" Peter. But for all accounts so far, it seems as if I would have enjoyed the man. I'm sorry for those of you who lost his earthly friendship.

And Carole ... Don't be mad at God too much. He took Peter's pain away and possibly created some in you and others so you can learn something from your friendship with Peter, which apparently you did.

As that old Yoda once said, "Rejoice for those who become one with the Force." I use it as an analogy to describe the death of those here on Earth quite often, except "the Force" is usually changed to God.

Keep plugging away, everyone.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:21 am

Peter changed my life more than anyone can possible know. When I am at the ocean or in front of a lighthouse, I think Peter would like being here. Peter is a very special angel.

At the time of Peter death I knew it was a very real possible that I had breast cancer. I never got the chance to talk to him about. When all the tests results came back that I in fact did have one of the rarest of the rare forms of cancer I went to the beach and prayed to Peter for help and wisdom. I could feel him near me. I know Peter heard me.

Their where and still are many things I learned from Peter. Some of which I did not put into action when he was alive on this earth. One of the issues I had was trusting and being open to him. This could be when I was hurting or just needed someone to talk to or email or even to share silly stuff with. I did not want to bother him, he was sick, he was busy everyone gets what I am saying.

I am not mad at God for having Peter leave this earth. I am sad at times for all the things I did not get to say to him. I am sad that more of the people on this board, Barry, Biggy, Boats and others of you did not get to meet him.

So in honor of Peter - today I am going to take one of favorite walks the one that ends up with the great view of Wood Island Lighthouse.

I have a very selfish wish that this lighthouse board continues and grows for being on it, helps to keep Peter alive. This lighthouse board and the world of people who loved lighthouses lite Peter up.

So in closing "Good times mean good friends" call someone up and say hello, send someone an email, go out for coffee with someone.

Carole Aka Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:25 pm

Eight Bells for Peter, I remember. Our light will glow for Peter in memory. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:25 pm

Boats - Thank you for keeping Peter in your thoughts.

Everyone thank you, thank you for remembering him.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:40 pm

Peter was a good man, and will always be missed here, but very fondly remembered!

Barry, thanks for bringing back this thread.
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Still the top poster :)
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Ross, it would be appropriate if it could stay that way. I'm sure you could find a way to keep his post numbers just one ahead of the next one. He deserves to stay on top IMHO.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:49 am

What a great idea Kevin. I am sure Peter would see both the honor and humor in always having the top number of posts.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion