|

Scorsese's Lighthouse

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Grover1 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:53 am

From The Boston Herald

Lighthouse lite

And speaking of locally made movies, the “Ashecliffe” construction crew descended on Nahant earlier this month to build a lighthouse for some high drama near the high seas.

But word from the locals is that the “lighthouse” - a cinder block structure that arrived on East Point in pieces - is only 17 feet high. Actually, it’s more like half a lighthouse.

What? Martin Scorsese couldn’t use any of the 49 real lighthouses on the Massachusetts coast???

“Actually they were hoping to film earlier out there but the weather’s been too good,” said one Nahant townie. “They needed it cold and windy.”

Um, like yesterday?

The lighthouse scene in Dennis Lehane’s “Shutter Island” - the book “Ashecliffe” is based on - is the climactic point of the flick where the twisted ending is revealed.

We could tell you what happens. But we’d have to kill you. Or you could just buy the book - which would make Dennis happy . . . .
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Keeper » Tue May 13, 2008 1:12 pm

A location scout called me months ago about this and I made some suggestions, including Thacher Island. I later heard they were shooting on Long Island in Boston Harbor, but I guess that was more for the hospital than for the lighthouse there.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed May 14, 2008 4:44 am

"Shutter Island" was a terrific book. I'm anxious to see if the movie does it justice. Too bad they couldn't have used a real lighthouse, though! "Gone Baby Gone" didn't fare too well at the box office, but Lehane's previous novel to movie "Mystic River" was excellent.
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed May 14, 2008 4:48 am

Hi Leah ...

Didnt read the books ... saw both the movies ... Eastwood is Eastwood but the revelation was Ben Affleck's direction of his brother in Gone Baby Gone . I thought both movies were excellent
Last edited by Grover1 on Wed May 14, 2008 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed May 14, 2008 4:57 am

I haven't seen "Gone Baby Gone" but the book was great. I liked all of Lehane's Angie/Patrick books. Now I'm more motivated to see this movie because of your comments! I think it's On Demand right now......

Also, I just found out that Dennis Lehane finally has a new book coming out in September entitled "The Given Day". Can't wait. His books rarely disappoint, and this one is a political thriller and sounds pretty darn good.
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:41 pm

From a "movies shot locally" column in Seacoast Online ...

“Shutter Island”

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Emily Mortimer, Michelle Williams

Directed by: Martin Scorsese

Filming locations: Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Maine; Sharon, Boston, Hull, Medfield, Taunton, Dedham, Ipswich, Mass.

Synopsis from IMDb.com: Drama set in 1954, U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels is investigating the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane and is presumed to be hiding on the remote Shutter Island.

Release date: Oct. 2, 2009

Gina’s notes: Working title: “Ashecliffe.” Already getting Oscar attention, but anything with Scorsese+DiCaprio gets that kind of notice. Love all the locations from Boston to Maine. They should’ve stopped by Portsmouth, since we’re in the middle.

... and I have a question ... based on leah's reccomendation I went out recently and read Shutter Island. Like Leah, I thought it a very good book, giving it maybe a 97.4 ... my problem ... I couldnt figure out the last couple pages ... the "second" ending, so to speak ... and my wife, the queen, so much smarter AND so much more literate, couldnt give a satisfactory explanation to me...

Any one else out there read this? Any one out there able to give a brother a hand here?
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Sorry, Bro....Can't help you here....While I've read "Mystic River", and then saw the movie, (which I thought was good), but have yet to read (or see) "Gone Baby Gone" or "Shutter Island"....Just been too busy with other things.....I haven't even gotten to play any good Chess Matches for the longest time, either.....

While your'e living it, life sometimes gets in the way of what you like to do in life...... 8)
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion