|

Charting Oregon Shipwrecks

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Grover1 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:16 am

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:56 am

If I am not mistaken several other places have done charting of shipwrecks. Wood Island Lighthouse here in Biddeford has a least one map. However the Wood Island Lighthouse does not have as much information as this one does.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:17 pm

A shipwreck map of wrecks at the mouth of the Columbia River.

http://nwlimited.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/dead-reckoning-of-the-pacific-graveyard/
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby nootka » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks, Island, for posting a link to our shipwreck chart.
Bill worked for more than five years assimilating information for this. Currently it features a rare picture of the now defunct Desdemona Lighthouse which used to stand over the sands of the Columbia River. All that remains are the pilings...
I believe there is a photo on the blog, somewhere.
We just finished an exhibit at Cape Disappointment in their Conquering the River shipwreck display. Lots of great maritime history in that chart.
Can't wait to have a look around at this forum (found through the blog stats links on our page). I grew up in a fishing family, my husband now fishes and I lived in a beach house made of shipwreck pieces for some time of my life, so these subjects are near and dear to my heart!

Liz
nootka
Visitor

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion