|

Fresnel lens

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this forum and I'm looking forward to meeting new people that share this great passion.
I'm presently involved with the restoration of the Sandy Neck Lighthouse.I was wondering if anyone here can point me towards a company that can manufacture a fourth-order fresnel drum lens from acrylic?
Thank-you for any info you may have,
Paul
Last edited by beaconlight on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
beaconlight
Visitor

Postby Weasel58 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Paul,

I was involved with the restoration of Anclote Keys lighthouse and we had our Fourth Order lens made by Artworks Florida. http://artworks-florida.com/

They have done a number of lens restorations and built a number of replicas.
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby beaconlight » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:32 am

Thank-you for your response and information. I will suggest contacting Dan Spinella at Artworks Florida at our next SNLRC meeting.

The light we now have in the lantern room is a Sealite SL 125-1. It was developed to be used on buoy's. http://www.sealite.com.au/files/pdf/pro ... 25_pdf.pdf We are currently getting a range of 3 nm. Being a registered aid to navigation,we need to extend the range to 10-15 nm.

This light was donated to us,so we are looking into every option to make this particular light fit our needs. The light is solar powered,(no electricity out there).
Do you think some sort of drum lens can be made,that we can slide over the light, that could possibly produce a vertical divergence of 5 degrees or so?

Of course cost is a big issue for us,as the economy has made fund raising quite difficult,and we are currently in the process of restoring the oil house roof.

Thanks again for your help.
Paul
Last edited by beaconlight on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
beaconlight
Visitor

Postby island » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:27 pm

" Being a registered aid to navigation,we need to extend the range to 10-15 nm."

Why are you required to extend to this range to 10-15nm? These does not seem reasonable to expect for a private aid.

For the past several years the Coast Guard has reduced the range of various lights in conjunction with lighthouse solarization and with more recent installations of LED lamps for fixed lights.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beaconlight » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:05 pm

[quote="island"]" Being a registered aid to navigation,we need to extend the range to 10-15 nm."

[quote=island]Why are you required to extend to this range to 10-15nm? These does not seem reasonable to expect for a private aid.

When I said "need",I didn't mean to convey that we are required to extend the range.
Our application with the Coast Guard states 3-5nm with a character of 2 seconds on 4 seconds off. The original fifth-order fresnel lens had a range of 13nm.

I meant,that the Committee members voted to extend the range, to be more historically correct,also to satisfy some of our contributors,and the people in the community. We need to do this with the light we currently have in the lantern room. I'm asking for any help we can get in solving the situation as stated in my previous post.

The light at Sandy Neck Lighthouse was decommissioned in 1931. In 2004 the SNLRC convened for the first time. In 2007 the light shined again in time to help celebrate the 150th anniversary of the construction of the lighthouse.

Thank-you island, for your interest and concern.
Paul
beaconlight
Visitor

Postby island » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:35 pm

Ok. So not imposed, but self-inflicted.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:45 pm

I believe the unit you purchased is purpose built for short distances, and ill suited for increasing the range to the 10-plus NM range you are seeking. I assume you have contacted Sealite to see if they can come up with a retrofit to the SL 125-1 which would increase the range, and that is why you are seeking an alternative solution.

If my memory serves me correctly, a replica acrylic Fourth Order lens will likely cost somewhere between $25,000 and $40,000 depending on the specific characteristic required.

A viable interim option might be to purchase a Tideland Signal 300mm unit. It will give you the 10-plus mile range you are seeking at considerably less cost. These are now also available with a MaxiHALO LED lamp system, and still guaranteed to give a 10 mile range at only 8 watts.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby beaconlight » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Terry,
Thank-you for your reply. I visited the Tideland Signal website and looked at the light you suggested.It would definitely serve the purpose.

I will coney the information I received from this post to this month's SNLRC meeting.

Thank-you all,
Paul
Last edited by beaconlight on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beaconlight
Visitor

Postby Terry_Pepper » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:39 pm

I believe that the Tideland Signal 300mm with the LED lamp which was recently purchased for the relighting of the McGulpin Point light cost close to $4,000. Not cheap, but a far cry from the immediate cost of a replica Fourth Order Fresnel, and it should give you 13 miles visibility.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby beaconlight » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm truly grateful to have found this website. I will strongly suggest at this months SNLRC meeting, that every member who has access to a computer join this forum.
Thank-you Terry,Weasel58,and island for your help in answering the first of many questions to come.
Paul
beaconlight
Visitor

Postby lighthouse1 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:52 pm

HELLO, We have over 50 antique Fresnel Lenses in our current inventory. We do have several original 500mm 4th order Fresnel Drum Lenses, several 3 1/2 order Beehive Lenses by Chance Brothers, Several 4th order fixed and flashing lenses, and several 5th order Lenses. We also have a large inventory of Lens Panels, Segments, Brass Frames and related parts for Lens repair and restoration. Our lens restoration shop has a fairly complete inventory of antique Sunvalves, aceteleyne burners, Buoy Lights from 140 through 500mm, and Lightship lanterns. Please feel free to call me at 810-599-5147. Thanks, Steve Gronow
lighthouse1
Visitor

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion