The Hatteras lighthouse move, 10 years later

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Paul » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:21 pm

The Hatteras lighthouse move, 10 years later

The Virginian-Pilot

It's hard to believe that ten years have passed!

Click on the following link for the full story:

My best, :D
Paul Conlin
Help Keep Ken Black's Dream Alive
Join or Make a Donation Today!

Maine Lighthouse Museum
One Park Drive P.O. Box 1116
Rockland, Maine 04841

(207) 594-3301

Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Paul ... thanks very much for posting the article. The only distressing item I found was that makes me ten years older as well ... and that time flew

Humbly, there was nothing right about this move except that Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is still standing. Memory says a hurricane or TS hit shortly after completion and that could easily have been the last storm the lighthouse ever saw ... However ... every esthetic is just wrong ... there is no meeting of sand, surf and sky ... As with most, I remember my first sighting ... Rt 12 bending back to the ocean and there it was, though still a distance away, huge in appearance, and only getting larger with each approaching mile ...

Then the first time back after the move to safety ... the orientation was all wrong ... you came off that bend in the road and there was no lighthouse ahead ... you had to crank your neck to the right, away from the water ... You entered the park ... you had to crank your vehicle to the right, away from the water. You parked the car and there was an expanse of green, not sand ... You could hear the surf, maybe, depending on the tide, but you couldnt see it in conjunction with the light ... you were now even sheltered from the ocean breeze

The "feel" wasnt there any more, only the light stood ... for me, the "specialness" was no longer present. Now, for sure, no one who has only seen the new location, who only read about the move, whoever didnt witness the light for the first time by rounding that bend, will care about it in this context. "Newbies" will read about the move, see it as sort of an evolution in the life of the light, and "just" be in proper awe of Hatteras' stature, both in magnitude and lore ...

So sad for them...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:20 pm

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Lt. Commissioner

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion