|

New Lighthouse Adjective Requested

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:06 am

Peggy's Cove ... Assateague ... Cape Jourimain (Yes, THAT Cape Jourimain!)

These three lights had at least two common threads this week ... they were all in the news and they were all referred to as iconic ... more often than not, that is the singular adjective used ... or, my contention, overused ...

I understand the appellation ... I understand the intent .. and on a literal level the all-encompassing adjective would no doubt be correct ... But in reality, with this constant application to almost all lighthouse, it doesnt work for me anymore ...

Walter Cronkite was ... and was aptly referred to since his death ... as iconic!

Any thoughts on a new adjective for that unique light?
Last edited by Grover1 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:36 pm

What'dya Rather.........

Mesmerizing.....Mystical......Symbolic.....Historical......Stately.....

ARRRRGGGHHH.... :!: Don't have my thesauras handy........
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:19 pm

It doesn't seem to matter these days Barry. Our language usage has gone to the dogs. Nouns are being verbalized and vice versa. Long words are being substituted for shorter more meaningful words such as deployment instead of used, seamlessly instead of easily.
Grammar has gone out the window and spelling, well, shock horror.
Text jargon is taking over and kids even speak it nowadays. I can't understand a word they say, bless their little hearts.
Iconic is the least of our worries mate.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:39 am

Good Morning Kevin ...

I think it was HS freshman Earth Science class when I first met the term "order of magnitude" I loved it and use the term in conversation often, especially poking a bit when someone speaks in extremes ...

With all the real issues out there, this one isnt World Peace for sure, but in a rare moment of random thought the idea had just smacked me ... here's three lights ... one of the most majestic towers of the eastern seaboard ... one that would "just another light" had a tourist industry not attached itself to it ... and one that is, except for those indigenous folks with views and memories, really "just another light" ...

The very same adjective was used to descibe them ... and with you, I wonder if the overuse of a word renders it meaningless ...

Order of Magnitude!
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:49 am

Barry,

I am proud to say that on my site I rarely use the word iconic. And for the same reasons you cite. It's overused (read cliched) and thus has become meaningless.

Every now and then I go on a rant and try to eliminate certain words and phrases from the language. In fact I'm a regular submitter to the Unicorn Hunters' Banished Words List at Lake Superior State University. Sometimes, they even use a quote from my reasoning on why it should be banned.

So, in the interests of coming up with some other words, I suggest historic, towering, de-light-ful (pun intended), touristy (tongue-in-cheek intended), brilliant beacon, and any of the ones Chuck came up with. :yay:
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:37 am

Kevin is sooo right.....The American language is now akin to garbarge (I don't refer to our language as "English", I don't talk like an Englishman).....I belong to some other boards, where at times I feel like I need one of those Decoders (that used to come in cereal boxes long ago) to make out what these people are posting......And the misspellings....AAAUUUGGGHHHH.... 8O
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:50 am

If you look up the word icon in the dictionary you find it difficult to relate to iconic lighthouses.
"Classic" is more appropriate but that word's overused as well.
With my limited knowledge of US lighthouses the one which I would loosely call "iconic" would be Hatteras simply because it is so well known, like Eddystone and Yokahama.

Good question Barry. Very thought provoking.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Lighthouselin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:57 am

May I throw in my two cents worth here? How about Indicative or characteristic? Both can be used in sentances as representations of the lighouse. I have to agree that iconic is over used and does not really describe a lighthouse any more than my suggestions, albeit mine are less used. :D
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:25 am

I like indicative ....
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Terry_Pepper » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:12 pm

This thread is iconic on an order of magnitude heretofore unmatched. It's totally awesome!
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Lighthouselin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:45 am

Terry_Pepper wrote:This thread is iconic on an order of magnitude heretofore unmatched. It's totally awesome!

Would you like a job in politics?? I think you would qualify over here in the UK. :D :D
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:46 am

Campaign Theme --- "The Straight Speaking Man Of Mackinac Point"..... :yay: :yay: :yay:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion