|

Mystery lighthouse.

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Lighthouselin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:39 am

Hi, I am in the UK and this is my first post here. I have visited a number of ligthouses in the Great Lakes area while staying with friends in Racine, Munising and Marquette. While I was on my last visit I was given the attached photograph and I am hoping someone on here will recognise it and tell me where it is.

Your site looks wonderful and I think I will enjoy many happy hours reading about the lights and joining in discussions on the ones I have visited.

I am a member of the Association of Lighthouse Keepers in the UK and also a member og the World Lighthouse Society. I lived in Australia for many years and visited lights in both Australia and New Zealand as well as UK and USA lights.

My Mystery Light.

I hope I have posted this message in the right place.

Many thanks. I look forward to a positive identication. :D
Lighthouselin
Last edited by Lighthouselin on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby rocky5128 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:00 am

It looks like Petoskey. This is the link to an earlier post that was in the Great Lakes section. I am not positive, but I have never seen one like it on the Great Lakes. http://www.petoskeynews.com/articles/20 ... 111100.txt

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby LighthouseNews » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:29 am

Rocky,that was my first thought. But here is a postcard image of the old Petoskey. There are notable differences.

Still could be, but I'm not sure.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby rocky5128 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:25 am

You are right, the old Waukegan Breakwater light in Illinois looks more like it. There are not too many pagoda style ones in the Great Lakes. Here is a link to a postcard with that light. Anyone else with any ideas?
http://americanhistory.si.edu/collectio ... d=5&card=1
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby LighthouseNews » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Ah hah. I bet that's it. Size is right (comparing people), over the door is right, lantern is right. I do believe you've got it!

Smithsonian Institute photo
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Kathy ... Sue ... You "guys" are the best ... great postcards ... I knew nothing of the style of Petoskey until I found that article ... and now you exposed me to a variation of that ... thanks for finding and sharing

Lighthouslin ... I vote the second ... you?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby NoahG » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:21 pm

In total, there were SIX of these style lights constructed at Petoskey, Waukegan, Kenosha, Racine, Milwaukee and Sheboygan.

This light is certainly not Petoskey or Kenosha, as those lights were build with the taller tower:
From Terry Pepper

We know Waukegan was built with the shorter tower, so that certainly is possible, however:

Could it have been Sheboygan?
SheboyganHistory.com

Or Racine or Milwaukee?

I don't have all my books here in Milwaukee, so I can't do more research, but perhaps Terry can help more?
But, for some reason, identifying this as Waukegan just feels right.
Last edited by NoahG on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noah G.
NoahG
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:51 pm

I'm not at home either, or I could check my copy of Lighthouses of Lake Michigan - Past And Present, by Wayne Sapaulski...If anyone has close access to that particular book, and who IS at their home base, could confirm the light's Identity.......
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Lighthouselin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:47 pm

WOW thank you so much folks. Your answers give a great starting point. Before now we had no idea at all where it is or was.

I kind of lean towards Waukegan Breakwater too, Grover1. It certainly looks like it. The ice and snow do make it dificult to compare exactly. You have all gone to so much trouble and I am so impressed with the knowledge you have between you. So it seems it probably is a Great Lakes light. I can't believe I have been looking for details on this light since 2003 and in one day the 'mystery' is no more. Once again thank you all so much.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Terry_Pepper » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:54 am

The tower height and window design over the door definitely narrow it down to being Waukegan, Racine or Milwaukee. Unfortunately, since there is nothing else in the photo to go by, I am unable to narrow it down as to exactly which light of the three, since they were all built to the same plan.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby Lighthouselin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:11 am

Terry_Pepper Thank you for that information. Now you mention Racine perhaps it is more likely to be there as it was given to me by a resident of Racine when I was visiting there.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion