|

Presidential Lighthousing

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Even presidents, first ladies and first chiildren visit lighthouses on vacation. :)

Taken at Gay Head Lighthouse

From Daylife:

U.S. President Barack Obama (L), his brother-in-law Konrad Ng and first lady Michelle Obama wave from the balcony of Gay Head lighthouse during a tour there in Aquinnah on Martha's Vineyard, August 27, 2009. The lighthouse first began operating in 1799.

And their daughter Malia:

All photos Reuters.

More at the link above.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:03 pm

Sue, we should do a search......Has any President before now, While in office, ever entered and climbed a Lighthouse before ???

This could be a first.... :!:
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby jaymatt1978 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:44 pm

I sure being from New England JFK probablly visited lighthouses when he was president. There probablly aren't any photos to prove it!!
Last edited by jaymatt1978 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaymatt1978
Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:01 pm

Found a lighthouse rededicated by President Kennedy ...

From Waymarking.com
The Mark Twain Memorial Lighthouse was originally built in 1935 not as an aid to navigation but to shine light over the year-long festivities surrounding celebration of Mark Twain's birthday. The lighthouse was originally lit by President Franklin D. Roosevelt from the White House. The lighthouse was rebuilt in the 1960's and rededicated by President Kennedy. The lighthouse was refurbished in 1994 and rededicated by President Clinton. The lighthouse continues to shine but as it has from its beginning not as an aid to navigation but as a memorial to the great author.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LeadingLight » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 am

Does a king count too? Le Corduan in France was built not just as a lighthouse but also as a residence for the king. It's architecture is overwhelming. It is by far the most extraordinary lighthouse in the world. I wrote anarticle about it in Leading Lights in 2006. A pdf is stored at http://www.lapoutre.info/LL/LeCorduan.pdf
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby LeadingLight » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:08 am

And if a king counts, maybe a princess counts as well. Brittish Princess Anne is well known as a lighthouse chaser. There was a subscription to Leading Lights at a "royal" address in the UK and I'm quite sure that Princess Anne was the one that read the magazine. Just today a newspaper mentions she's halfway her quest to see al 213 Scottish lighthouses. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034833/Princess-Annes-secret-personal-quest-visit-lighthouse-Scotland.html
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Lighthouselin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Oh to have the chance to follow her. We have seen only about 30 in Scottish waters and this October will see more in and around the isle of Lewis. I have seen all the lights surrounding the Ise Of Man so I guess they count as the NLB cares for them. :wink:
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby LighthouseNews » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:33 pm

LeadingLight wrote:There was a subscription to Leading Lights at a "royal" address in the UK and I'm quite sure that Princess Anne was the one that read the magazine.

Oh now that is way too cool Frans. I wonder what other lighthouse newsletters and magazines she subscribes to?

I like the part in the story that reveals she "secretly" visits lighthouses on her private yacht. A true lighthouser. :yay:
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby LeadingLight » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 am

Lighthouselin wrote:Oh to have the chance to follow her. We have seen only about 30 in Scottish waters and this October will see more in and around the isle of Lewis.

If you would have the same time and money, it may be no problem 8)
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Terry_Pepper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:59 am

President Calvin Coolidge and his wife visited Devils Island lighthouse on Lake Superior at the tail end of an extended 88-day vacation to northern Wisconsin during the summer of 1928.

At the appointed time of noon on August 22, the presidential flotilla, consisting of the yacht NELLWOOD, the Coast Guard Cutter CRAWFORD, the steamer MADELINE, two speed boats, and an entourage of over 50 set sail from Bayfield for the island.

After viewing the island’s sea caves and watching a group of local fishermen lifting their nets, the presidential yacht tied-up a short distance southeast of the lighthouse at 1:00 p.m. and the group ate lunch on a broad rock ledge with an uninterrupted view of the vast expanse of the lake. After lunch, the President toured and inspected the station with keeper Christiansen, during which time they discussed the quality of fishing around the island. The president signed his name in the station log book.

The flotilla departed shortly after 2:00 p.m., and keeper Christiansen commented that "It’s the first time in my four years here, or my 12 years at Eagle Harbor, that anything so great has happened.” Christiansen declared that he would write to his inspector, telling him that the lighthouse had been inspected and OK’d by the President of the United States himself.

The Presidential lunch party on the rocky ledge at Devils Island on August 22, 1928.
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby CHUCKX53 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Terry, that photo's a great find........ :D

That's what's neat about this site....You get to see things like this.....Too Wild... =P~
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Lighthouselin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:14 pm

Just going back to Princess Anne. There was a nice article included with the lastest edition on The Lamp that I enjoyed reading, telling of her visits to some of the Scottish lighthouses.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Bill Edwards » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:14 pm

That was a nice addition to the current LAMP issue!
Bill Edwards
Keeper

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion