|

Ted Kennedy and lighthouses.

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Bill Edwards » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Heard today during the Boston church service for Ted Kennedy that one of his loves, besides sailing, was lighthouses.
Bill Edwards
Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:36 pm

I heard this too. I found this surprising since I like to think of myself as being up to date on US politics, but I haven't heard of this before. He must have had a strong interest for it to be mentioned at his funeral, but it is strange that there is a lack of information on it (I found next to nothing in a google search).

Maybe more information will come up in the next few days / weeks.
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby wheland » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Well when you consider one of his loves was sailing having an interest in lighthouses makes sense.

He would have gone by several all the time sailing in the Hyannis arera of Cape cod.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Kind of related .. From KFYR 5

Former ND Senator Remembers Kennedy

8/26/2009

Former US Senator Mark Andrews says the late Senator Edward Kennedy was honest and straightforward and a "truly good legislator."

Andrews, a Republican, served in the U.S Senate from 1981 to 1986. He said he enjoyed working with Kennedy. And he`ll never forget the day Kennedy threatened to move some fighter planes from Grand Forks to Massachusetts.

Andrews said he told Kennedy that was a bad idea, and that he would shut down every lighthouse on the Boston coast if Kennedy pressed on with it. He said Kennedy then started laughing and told him, "you probably would."
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:32 pm

From the speech by his son:

He believed that in order to know what to do in the future, you had to understand the past. My father loved other old things. He loved his classic wooden schooner, the Mya, He loved lighthouses and his 1973 Pontiac convertible.

The entire speech by Ted Kennedy, Jr at Boston.Com. It was extremely moving.

I also believe he was the driving force to keep Boston Harbor Lighthouse the only manned station in the US.

I got a good chuckle out of that Andrews quote, Barry. Control of the Senator by threatening to shut down lighthouses. :D Gotta love it. 8)
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion