|

Jeremy Featured in Boston Globe Article

A forum to discuss non-specific lighthouse topics. If a topic doesn't fit into one of the other forums, put it here.

Postby Grover1 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:35 am

From The Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... _of_heart/

(Photo/Joanne Rather)
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Keeper » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:54 pm

What do you think -- do I look thoughtful and pensive? Or maybe a little nauseated? Actually, I like the photo. The story is pretty good, but I was disappointed that Whaleback isn't mentioned after I spoke about it for a long time with the reporter. That's why they took the photo with Whaleback behind me!

New photo of Whaleback that I took last night:

Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:24 am

I told many, many people that day "Hey, look at this, I know that guy!"

My first thought was that I liked the "walking on water" effect of The Globe shot ... pretty tranquil, almost Autumnal shot of Whaleback ... you dont post many of that type ... when I think of Whaleback it is seldom so colorful
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby kickstand » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:31 am

*Sigh* ... it's hard to imagine that these remote lighthouses have much of a future. Does Mr. Gabriel really think people will want to stay overnight in Borden Flats Light? I mean, I hope he's successful, but I am doubtful.

I think nonprofit preservation would be the best outcome, in most cases.
kickstand
Visitor

Postby Bill Edwards » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:22 pm

JD,

Great photo of you!

(They should have used a reflector for fill on your face, but I'm just picky.)
Bill Edwards
Keeper

Postby Keeper » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:35 am

Actually, she did use a reflector -- but it looks like the one they used was taken before she used it.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Keeper » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:37 am

Regarding the comment about overnight stays -- I have no doubt that people will want to stay overnight at Borden Flats Lighthouse, as they will at just about any lighthouse. Goose Rocks Lighthouse, offshore in the Fox Islands Thorofare in Maine, is doing pretty well with overnight stays:

http://www.beaconpreservation.org/conte ... stay.shtml

As far as I'm concerned, anything that raises money for preservation is a good thing.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby LighthouseNews » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:51 pm

kickstand wrote:*Sigh* ... it's hard to imagine that these remote lighthouses have much of a future. Does Mr. Gabriel really think people will want to stay overnight in Borden Flats Light? I mean, I hope he's successful, but I am doubtful.

I think nonprofit preservation would be the best outcome, in most cases.

Borden Flats isn't exactly remote. And my understanding of Mr. Gabriel's plans are that he intends to have his family members stay there. And of course, it will become a microbrewery if all his ducks line up.

As he was quoted in one story: he's actually putting back (living areas) that the Coast Guard took away. If you've seen photos of the interior of many of the neglected lighthouses (check Whaleback Light) you'll see what neglect has done. And Mr. Gabriel is buying these lighthouses to preserve them, as is Gary Zaremba, who owns two now. Or maybe three. I've lost track. :wink: His main business is historic building restoration.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby kickstand » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Borden Flats isn't exactly remote.

Not remote? It's on a rock in the middle of the Taunton River ... not exactly easy to pop out for dinner or even to take a walk. At least Rose Island Light, by contrast, is on a cute island.

I know I'd want to stay there, but I think my wife would freak out.
kickstand
Visitor

Postby LighthouseNews » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 pm

kickstand wrote:
Borden Flats isn't exactly remote.

Not remote? It's on a rock in the middle of the Taunton River ... not exactly easy to pop out for dinner or even to take a walk. At least Rose Island Light, by contrast, is on a cute island.

I know I'd want to stay there, but I think my wife would freak out.

Although this is slightly off-topic, a recent story about East Brother Island Lighthouse innkeepers leaving (it paid around $100,000 a year) listed as one of the reasons was because it was "impossible to call out for a pizza delivery to the island." =))

And the middle of the Taunton River is not remote. Remote is Matinicus Rock, or Boon Island. Or Stannard Rock. Of course, it's not the same as a nice land based lighthouse. But I'm with you, I could certainly stay at one of the remote ones with no problem. 8)

Back on topic:
Jeremy...that photo you took is an absolutely gorgeous shot of Whaleback. Beautiful colors.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Keeper » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:47 am

Back on topic:
Jeremy...that photo you took is an absolutely gorgeous shot of Whaleback. Beautiful colors.

Thanks, Sue. It was a beautiful night when I took that photo. We still have 3 more of the Tuesday evening sunset cruises left from Kittery -- see http://www.portsmouthharborlighthouse.org/events.php
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby kickstand » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:37 pm

At the risk of beating a dead horse here ... it's certainly not remote compared to other lighthouses, but it is quite remote compared to other places to stay in Taunton, is all I meant.
kickstand
Visitor

Return to General Lighthouse Discussion