|

Nordic Finn Lighthouse update.

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby boats » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:25 pm

Eternal Sea Memorial Lighthouse so far is doing ok since sept 04. I did put in a new lamp motor and added more light output. Four turns a min. As for Hood Canal Point Lighthouse, repair and updating is about half way done. New lamp motor, new vent motor and new lighting inside. Photos will come soon. The 30 foot lighthouse plan is about to start, weather kept us us from starting last month and I,m late in the start up which is ok. It gave me a chance to make a few changes. I know its not a big deal for some of you folks on the right coast, you have the real thing and many of them (LIGHTHOUSES) But I did put the first lighthouse on the Hood Canal and in Seabeck Washington. So Its a big deal for us out here. The best part is I'm having fun doing it. Wish I could send one to the east coast and I have a plan on doing just that. Time will tell. :D "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:24 am

Thanks for the update, Boats! I sure would love to get out there and visit this magnificent creation in person!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby kinnakeet » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:05 am

Okay Boats,
Get busy on a Cape Hatteras Lighthouse :D
Dawn
Peace ~ Pass it on !
kinnakeet
Head Keeper

Postby island » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:19 pm

I wonder how Boats would paint the stripes, when it is horizontal in the his shop or when it is standing upright. :?:

What ever way, it is not easy to paint with one hand and hold a cup of coffee in the other. :? There is the risk of dipping the paint brush in the coffee and not in the paint can. :? Not that it would in any way spoil the coffee for a boatswain mate. :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:32 pm

Boats probably includes a little bit of paint in his coffee mix....... For some body !!!!!!

Thatks for the update Boats, good to hear Eternal Sea is still standing strong.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby buster » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:48 pm

Thanks for update :)
Buster
NELL/ALF Member
buster
Inspector

Postby boats » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:03 am

Dave old boy, I have at times put a brush in my coffee and yes it did make a good cup if I say so. Deck gray is the best for me. Now as for painting stripes, The Sexton is right at hand. You got to do the math. Up or down I can do. done it so many times I can do it with two cups of coffee and my course is true. One thing about being a Boatsmate, paint is no big deal. Now as for Cape Hatteras, no I will never build that one and I'll tell why. A lady came in my shop from New York and told me she saw more Hatteras lighthouses up and down the east coast then she saw rocks. And the other thing is I design and build new lighthouses, never build the same one again. No Sir. When you get one of my lighthouses, thats it. You have the only one of that kind. The real Cape Hatteras is one and only. Need I say any more. A big "Hi" to Leah, nice to see you write my mane Leah 8O Well any way folks I'm just doing my thing out here in the N/W, Builder, Lighthouse Keeper, and honey do doer. Sure wish I could get on another ship and get that honey do thing off my back. It's hard being retired and taking orders from my wife. =)) "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:18 am

If the Navy had taken over the Lighthouse Service instead of the Coast Guard I expect all the lighthouses would have been painted deck gray. 8O Right, Boats?
Last edited by island on Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby plebetkin » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:05 am

sounds like Boats is keeping busy. I like the idea that you build only one of any specific lighthouse. There are so many to build, aren't there?
good friends mean good times
plebetkin
Lighthouse God

Postby kinnakeet » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:26 pm

Yes, one does see a lot of the second Cape Hatteras Light but I never see any of the first :) Ponder Ponder Ponder..Hey, can't blame a girl for trying !
Dawn
Peace ~ Pass it on !
kinnakeet
Head Keeper

Postby beachbum1616 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:38 pm

Boats,

Glad to hear that the light is still on!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:47 am

Well it's eight bells and I just close the shop for tonight, the weather is clear and the moon looking down on this old sailor. Stars, can't forget the stars. About 10 big ones, one of them being me of course :wink:. I see no-1616 reported in for muster, Thank You Sir. Dawn......send me a photo of that lighthouse you Ponder about, maybe I can look it over and ponder with you. Send a photo of you so I can see the ponder lady. Peter I do stay very busy over here, Hood Canal Point Lighthouse was one I built in 1998-99, making some changes as I go along. Call it updating. And it's no fun building the same light over and over. So building a new one each time is great fun, get to try out something different on each build. "DAVE"""""" your ring my bell, your right. Deck red and gray, boot topping below the water line, midship marker with fresh water and salt water lines and maybe great lakes as well. Sorry about that load line thing. Forget where I'm at some times. Did I tell you folks I'm going to add a fog bell to Eternal Sea lighthouse, Yes sir, got to have that bell. Trying to get a life boat as well. Well before you know it this place will look just like a real station. Just hope the tide never comes up this high, I'm 998 feet above sea level. ButI'll be ready if it does. Had to break up my time today and help the wife paint the head in the keeper home, never get far from the paint even now. Being retired in all ](*,) But I don't mind. In fact the hole inside will get paint work this year, and the out side as well. So you folks go on looking at other lighthouses and have a good time, this keeper has work to do. Work starts at o8oo and knock off is about 2330, get to eat a meal now and then with bos'n brakes. Ok, stand down for the rest of the night, make fast in your bunks. :wink: "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby plebetkin » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:28 am

tell us more about the fog bell. What kind will it be? will it be on the lighthouse itself or in a separate fog bell enclosure?
good friends mean good times
plebetkin
Lighthouse God

Postby kinnakeet » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:40 pm

Otay,
Well since I know of no actual photos considering the date it was standing here is a drawing that I found at Lighthouse Digest of the Cape Hatteras Light. I shall send you a mug shot. Please do not do as my ex did and hang it in the out house :lol:
Dawn

Peace ~ Pass it on !
kinnakeet
Head Keeper

Postby island » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:56 pm

Mug shot. :) :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to West Coast Lighthouses