|

Nordic Finn Lighthouse update.

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby boats » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:31 pm

Thats not a football game, its a snow ball fight. =)) "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:19 pm

Well here we go for round (3) on the snow storms for the North West, we all ready have over a foot on the ground and we should get another foot or more tonight into the morning. Many folks still with out power going on three days in some areas, ice on roads all over the sound from the coast. This month of November is the worst in 33 years for this area, Here at Eternal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse we have a foot and a half of snow on the ground, its snowing now very hard. :D "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:07 am

Hey Boats ...

The Yin and the Yang ... this is going down as one of the warmest Novembers ever here along the "other" coast ... though a little dreary this morning, tempts may touch 70 before the front blows through tonight ...

... and make sure you send along your birthday wishes to Efrem Zimbalist Jr ... he turns 89 today ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby boats » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:41 am

Geee Barry, sorry to here your having such nice weather, I on the other hand IS"" digging out from all the snow. Its 0730, 29.4f no wind, the snow has stop for now. What more could I ask for.. We broke the last big record of 1933 today, 15.89 inches of rain and snow for the month of November. Our normal rain for November is 5.65 inches. Maybe now I can get out and put up some Christmas lights.. MAYBE".. :D "Boats".
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:07 am

Boats, you could hang up Christmas Tree Lights, Lighthouse Lights or you sit back with many pots of coffee and just enjoy yourself.

Carole and of course Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:17 am

Have you ever hard the Christmas Coffee song, done by Navy the Boastsmates deck the hulls and be fast at mast, then make your way aft, to let go the gas up the launch and lower away, for the Captain has way to shore up the coffee shop for Christmas, so the crew may wish the world a Marry Christmas. As you can tell I had to clean it up a bit =)) Old Navy Ways Mates, never change. :D "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:04 am

0759/07DEC41/PHNS..under attack.. not a drill.. Thats what the Navy hard on this morning 66 years ago. Not many folks alive today that where there. Eternal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse stands her duty for the memory, how many of you folks know the history. Show the flag and look it up. Not hard a thing on the TV this morning, sad.. "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby shirin » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:21 am

I was a bit suprised myself to not hear all that much about today's significance. I did see an article mentioning that today's reunion would be their last since it's been 65 years.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby rocky5128 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:50 am

I was reading an article about it this morning. They only had about 650 Pearl Harbor survivors there. They are making tapes of the stories from the men so that they will always have them, and people can hear what it was like through thier eyes.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:24 am

Years ago I meet one of Navy nurses who was at Pearl Harbor during the attack. She had scheduled to fly back to the U.S. several weeks before but was held back by her boss. This plane crashed with no survivors.

She then came down with very bad flu and or cold. A bug had hit many of nursing staff hard. As she said lots of people where not feeling well. The hospital was away from where the ships where, she started to get ready to go help out one of the ships and got sick again. Her boss said to her and the other nurses "we better keep you at the hospital so you do not infect the crew members of the the ships." She would have been assigned to one the ships that was attacked.

Long story short - Being sick saved her life and that of her friends. It also allowed them to help treat the men and women who had been attacked. What she remembers the most was the smell of gas, the smell of burning flesh. The fires and smoke in the harbor.

She and her fellow nurses and doctors went on audio pilot. Her main focus was to do what nursing she could and had been trained to do. Her boss said that it was a blessing that the nurses of this level where sick. Someone knew they had a very important job ahead of them. She did not get back to states for a while and was stationed on the island to help out.

The other items they knew they where being attacked this was no drill. Pearl Harbor went from paradise to the inferno in matter of minutes.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi Folks, not been topside in some time. Well here is the UPDATE on FREEDOM POINT MEMORIAL LIGHTHOUSE. We our at about one ton or better with two sections built, each section 7 foot. Now I need to move a few things in the shop so I can move both sections to the back of the shop. The shop is 36 feet long and 28 ft wide, the lighthouse will be 35 foot, so not much room to work with. The weather shut me down for many days cause the wind, rain and snow like we have not had here in many years, lost power too many times. Right now it's snowing again. I have seven months to get her built, so I will be burning the lamp oil in the wee hours. Soon as I can I will get some one to post a few photos of the work done so far. Many nuts and bolts, wood, glue, time, the honey due list and it just goes on, plus I take care of ETERNAIL SEA POINT MEMORIAL LIGHTHOUSE and the grounds. Cut up down trees from the wind storms we had in December last, and the honey due list keeps getting there every day. And I also have to built to small lighthouses by late July. So make fast mates and post up, have a good year to all. I know the bad weather has been hard on many all over the country, summer is coiming folks, hold fast your course 2007. Now back to work in the shop and my mug of coffee with me. Oh and say "HI" to any one I don't know, that should keep Ya busy for a few days.. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby TWolfe » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:04 pm

Hi Boats. Thanks for the update. It's good to hear from you. It looks like Randy and I won't be going to Washington this summer. (We're going back to Maine.) Sounds like your new light will be ready for our visit in 2008.
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby boats » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi Tammy & Randy, sorry to hear your going to the "WRONG" Coast. But I'll get over it, MAINE!!!!!! Hay where did every one go this winter, looks like it has been real slow this year on this site. Even Ross has been laying low. Must be all that snow you folks got over there, today was a heat wave over here. 50f.. and rain is bearing down on us again. Well I spent all day rebuilding the lamp motor on Eternial Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse, replace the roller bearings under the lamp as well. After four years of running 24/7 they needed replacing. Thats it for now, dinner and back to the shop. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Boats - I have been wondering what you have been up to. This part of New England has been hit hard with all types of illness. I think many people are just laying low and waiting for winter to be over.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:36 am

Well Carole, hope your doing Ok. I thing the weather has done a number on the country coast to coast, sure has here. It slowed me down a great deal, but I'm coming on line with four boilors. Half too, with only less then seven months to get the big lighthouse done, and I'm way behind. So I'll get her my best to meet my dead line which is Sept 11th 07.. The coast per section is about $230.00. The coast of wood has gone up during the past year, hardwear has gone up as well. I can't cut out or make any short cuts in this build. And so that could be another slow down just in the coast, I use every bid of lumber I get, no waste. The pad this light will site on will be 8 ft X 8 ft X 1 ft, about 6000 lbs of cement, another $250.00. And about 40 lbs of coffee, another $40.00.. So it won't be easy. There is no out side funding on this job. But,, I got no place to go and I'm not in a hurry to get there. So I'll be right here. =)) .. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Lighthouses