|

Nordic Finn Lighthouse update.

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby TWolfe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:58 pm

Well, Boats, we couldn't find any puffins when we were in Washington (though there is supposed to be a small colony on a Canadian Island near San Juan Island, but we didn't see any). So, we're going to Maine to see the puffins, look for moose at Baxter State Park and see a few lighthouses (East and West Quoddy for sure).

Carole, have you ever seen any puffins or moose?

We took three trips between June and October in 2006. So, we didn't take any trips this winter. We did go to the south shore of Lake Superior (in Wisconsin) to see the beautiful sea caves (called ice caves in the winter). But the only lighthouse we saw was the one in Ashland.

Much of Lake Superior froze over this winter during that arctic blast. We were going to go to Split Rock this past weekend. We had heard that the ice all broke up from the winds in the Thursday-Friday blizzard. It ended up being cloudy on Sunday. So, we didn't go. Someone from a local camera club posted a photo of Split Rock from Saturday. It was nice, but there weren't any ice chunks floating on the water like I had hoped. It's amazing how much that lake can change in just a few days.

We have about 20" of snow on the ground, but I think it will go fast when it warms up.
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby boats » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:18 am

Hi Tammy, the PUFFINS which there is 22 species or in the Northern Hemisphere coast too coast. There is 20 breeds in North America and many of them our Migratory.I have seen them as far as Alaska and some in the south coast of Washington. Yes there is many in Canada up in the San Juan Islands, but only in the late part of the year, as they are a Bird that's likes the cold weather. So good luck on finding them over there on the other Left Coast. They like to be in the rocks on the shore line in groups, you will never see them alone. As for Moose, your on your own. :D "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Thu May 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Say "HI" to me for I have been off line for some time. My old Computer is in the scrap yard, the bottom was a bit rusted and I lost the anchor in a storm. Still need to work out the bugs in this new machine. As for the 35 foot lighthouse, I'm way behind as the weather has beed very wet and lost off power in my area is normal for this kind of weather. I have two sections bolted together with 64 nuts and bolts, just over a ton in frame work. Redoing the grounds around Eyernal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse, got a pier out there now, moved a lot of plants around, all in the rain of course. Soon as the weather clears enough for a frash paint job on Eternal Sea Lighthouse, that too. Had to go down and make repairs on Hood Canal Point Lighthouse due to weather, all done. I cut the grass two times a week which takes two hours, the Honey Due List, we all got one, who wants mine??????. And I have two small lighthouses I'm building, one for my brother in New Jersey and one for a lighthouse group here. And I'm running a little slow on two boilors, old age !!!!. Two boilors or down for repairs. Well Thats about all for now, Here comes the rain again and my coffee mug is out side some where, time foe coffee Unrep. "Boats" :D
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Fri May 04, 2007 3:36 am

Boats it was good to get your update. Now stop all your fussing about the Honey Due List.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Fri May 04, 2007 10:41 am

Ha!! Easy for you to say Carol, you don"t have one =)) .. Oooo it"s fussing that keeps me going. Soon as I get going here I'send a few photos of my FUSSING around. Mother's Day is on the line Folks, Don't forget.. And keep the Flag flying for our Troops, Police and Fire Dept Folks, they all have the same job, Keeping us Safe. "Boats". :D
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby TWolfe » Fri May 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Boats, it's good to hear from you. I've been wondering what you have been up to. Seems like you had a wet spring last year, too. Maybe better weather is around the corner.
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby boats » Sat May 05, 2007 1:47 am

Hi Tammy, we don't tan in the north west, we rust. Your right for last year, however the rain is a bit more then last year, rain every day this month so far and last month was the same. Or norm is about 60 inches a year and we are way ahead of that now. right now the temp is 38f and rain all this week-end, highs in the uper 50s during the day. Seattle is a little better then us. Weather around the corner, maybe in July it might stop raining, but then again 4th of July it always rains here in Seabeck. I got in to my book locker this week and though I might start something with this crew. I have many pictures of sailing ships and lighthouses from the 1900s and up, in fact my history section is about the same as my love of the sea. In order the set it up I'm going to need help from this crew since I can't put picture on line to lighthousing.net. Need to send them to some one and let them put the photos on board for me. Great Lakes ship pictures from the 20s & 30s. All this stuff has been locked up for years and its time to bring it out. Post Cards from the same times. Some news papers clips from the 30s ,40s ,50s, &,60s. Years of sea going history and so on. My wife and I sat down and and went through some of the scrap books I have, about 30 lbs of scrap books. Does the name, USCG Cutter Bear (1930) mean any thing to you folks. So if you folks or Interested then I'll come topside and make fast a history show. If not then I'll lay below and stand fast. Hi Randy, how the yard work coming along. :D "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Sun May 13, 2007 12:46 am

New update.. I'm lost in space 8O . Well the grounds or up too par, down trees removed, burn pile gone, new plants added and some moved around, I built a pier near Eternal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse, the Honey Due List is still getting bigger. :roll: I hear you Carol"""" And the rain is back again tonight. Next on the list is new paint for E S P M L. how short is that. Will change the color a little, which still has to be worked out. The new flag mast I hope will be up by September, in fact the 35 foot lighthouse is on a slow bell, high fuel cost and wood prices have gone up to the Moon if you know what I mean. $375.00 per section plus. $3.34 for one 2x4x8 should give an idea, and they cut the wood here in Washington. But we're get her done bar none. The date is unknown at this point. And I have a new computer to learn how to use, the other one is in the scrap yard, lost the anchor in a storm and went aground, my computer, not me. Well there it is folks, still stuck at home, two boilors out of four or up but I have way. Now that term means still underway. Just past eight bells so I better make it to my bunk. Happy Mothers Day to them that or Mom. And Mom is calling me to make fast me bunk.. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Tue May 22, 2007 11:34 pm

Time for another up date. The island around Eternal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse got a little bigger today, I had some 30 yards of dirt brough in on the north end which added a 15x18 ft add on and more rock, Ohoooo my back is sore tonight, next is more plants and another pier at that same end. Rain about every third day, today was a heat wave 65f and tonight is now 40f. Hoping for a week of dry weather next month to do the paint work. The gas prices or at $3.41 today and the lumber prices or still up there. 8O . Next is the cement work for the 35 foot lighthouse about 80 feet away from the first lighthouse and the island for the second light. Thats all for now, be safe this Memorial Day Week End, seat balts and a good POT of COFFEE Mates. :D "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:26 pm

New Update, well work is still on going around Eternal Sea Point Memorial Lighthouse. The front area has a new look, another 30 yards of dirt has been dumped and a new island is being built. The founddation for Freedom Point Memorial Lighthouse ground work has started. New money has come in so I can start work again on the 35 foot lighthouse, my dead line for this year was pushed to 2008. so now I have time to add the new design change on Freedom Point. The foundation ring will cost about $250.00, the bolts $125.00. We may be a bit more then 35 foot when done. The rain still keeps coming over here, this will be a wet summer. All for now. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:14 am

Boats it great to see an update from you.

It seems that you are making progress on your various projects.

Sorry to read about the rain you are getting. Is this normal where you live?

Please post more often.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:11 am

Hi Carole, normal rain its not, this is the over time off year for rain across the country. Even the mid section of the country is over run with rain. From what I see coming for winter, stand by for a lot of snow in the north west this year and the north east. But with all that in mind, work must go on. sorry for not coming on line more offten, to much to do out side before winter and summer starts on the 21st. Now you know how much work I have to get done. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:51 pm

New update, I just sent Keeper a few photos to post for you folks, hope he finds time. When and if, I'll fill in. Stand by. "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:04 pm

Boats said that the photos he sent to Jeremy came back to him for some reason, but I did post a few in his photo album, and hopefully will get some of the NEW lighthouse soon!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 am

Well yet another update, we now have a new weather station, yep.. By La Crosse, electronnic weather instruments station is being added. So by the end of this month we should be up and running, all we need now is a radio and I'm working on that now. Also trying to find an RDF unit to put up. Its taken four years to get this far, I even have a line on a 26 foot lifeboat, just need to find a way to get it here. A few other things or in the planning as well. So as a lighthouse keeper, I had to build my fun way of life in retirement. If any one will post a few photos for me let me know, still don't know how to do that yet. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Lighthouses