|

cold weather report

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby boats » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:33 am

Like most of the country we too or having weather proplems, the wind has taken down power lines almost every day for over a week now. Now the cold air has moved in on us at 15.f tonight and been that way for a week as well. Next we will get a snow push starting next week. Not a big deal to some of you folks living in the East I'm sure, but not normal for here. :D "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am

I froze my tookus this morning in the 3.5 degree air. With wind chill we're well under zero. I hate winter. Really.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:57 am

Ya I hear you. The hole country is off base with this weather, right now its 12f and hoping we get over 32f for or high. I cut down my time in the shop ontill we get back to normal. Then again I'm not sure what normal is any more. 8O "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Ross » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:04 am

It's the same here Mike, we got power back at about 2AM (went out about 6PM friday)... !!

We're heading up to West Quoddy tonight, it should be colder up there!! YIKES!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby TWolfe » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:06 am

I just spent two hours outdoors photographing Trumpeter Swans on the St. Croix. Last night when we went out to dinner there was steam rising from the St. Croix. I was hoping to photograph the swans with the steam rising this morning, but the river had frozen over during the night and there was very little open water.

Anyway, it was -8 degrees when I got there and 0 degrees by the time I left. On the news they showed the steam rising from Lake Superior. They said it was -24 degrees in Two Harbors. We have a wind chill advisory for the state, and there were several people outside without a hat or gloves. A family stopped to view the swans, and none of them were dressed for this weather...
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby WisKeeper » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:40 pm

Wow, -24 in Two Harbors, MN!

The high temp in the Madison Wisconsin today is to be 4 degrees. This morning it was -6.

Here is a link to a photo taken in Germantown, Wisconsin on Thursday Feb 16th during the snowstorm. This squirrel does not look happy:
http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/vie ... umber=1080
Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
WisKeeper
Head Keeper

Postby TWolfe » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:04 pm

That's a cute squirrel photo.

It was so cold today that the Frigid Fest in Duluth was canceled.
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby WisKeeper » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:08 pm

Wow, they still planned to go ahead with the Polar Plunge in the Lake here today. They figure the water will be warmer than the air.

Overnight temp last night -17 F.

UPDATE
Temp currently 1 F.
Wind Chill currently -14 F.

The 7th Annual Polar Plunge WAS CANCELED - unsafe temps and the water kept freezing over. Many participants still stripped down to swim suits and posed for photos anyway.
Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
WisKeeper
Head Keeper

Postby Jen » Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:50 pm

NO thanks on that Plunge!! I shot this tonight about a mile down the road from my house. Currently at 5 degrees and going DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN...

Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby boats » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:40 pm

Cold is Cold after 30f in any place, its how long it stays around the is the problem. Jen that picture is cold looking and I know you got very cold taking it, very good shot I might say. :D Weather in this country is not normal this year and I'm ready for a change, like warm. Out here the air is dry with the cold air and that is hell to work in in my shop. I lost a great deal of time on the 30 foot lighthouse, the cost of heating my shop got to high so I shut down for two weeks. Glue and paints don't do well in in this kind of weather. Hope a change comes soon. "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:20 pm

You guys are all welcome to come and live here for a while if you wish. It's currently 25C or 77F, fine and sunny.

We currently have either here or coming, the Olssen twins, Tom Cruise and Katie, Bill Clinton, Greg Norman, Tony Blair and next month The Queen an Phil.

You will be in good company if you come out here but I know someone on this forum might suggest that we keep Clinton here. :lol:
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:01 am

Right now it's 4 degrees, -10 wind chill. Did I mention I hate winter?
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Return to West Coast Lighthouses