|

Moose in Maine

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby epona » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:45 am

In answer to the question Tammy asked about Moose and Puffins in Maine.

No Moose here except for Lenny the Chocolate One - the Loose Moose - and the Lost Moose that decide to head in this direction. We do have those strange sticks in the water which are for marking where the lobsters might be.

I have seen Moose and I will post my Moose stories later.

Tammy you are going to Baxter State Park during the start of peak period for camping and hiking it. You might see a Moose but depending on the temps you are more likely to see the State Bird of Maine.

I have to close for now - I will post more later when I have the energy.

Puffins they are another story for a later posting.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby rocky5128 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:04 pm

Is the state bird of Maine the same as the one in Illinois, the mosquito? :lol:
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby TWolfe » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 pm

We have plenty of mosquitos in Minnesota... I have been warned about black flies at Baxter State Park.
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby Larry » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:35 pm

epona wrote: Lenny the Chocolate One

Lenny is really cool. He's a must stop on any drive down Route 1. He's an absolute feat of engineering. And chocolate sculpting.
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 pm

There were a lot of I call them horse flies, up in the UP when I visited Crisp Point and Au Sable Point. They were huge and sounded likebumle bees when they flew by you. I used the Avon Skin So Soft and walked without 1 even landing on me. The person who was with me used Deep Woods Off and was slapping himself silly trying to get rid of them. I think I will smell nice and use the Avon. It seemed to work. No mosquitos either.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:41 pm

If bits if stings, you are going to be surrounded by all sorts of flying creatures during the summer months in Maine. Did mention the eagles, hawks, bats and owls who all come during the day. No one told them they are creatures of the night. Night time well it depends on much they have had to eat during the day and if they got in time for a nap or two. It does not matter if you are in land or which part of the coast line you are traveling. If they want to feed on you they will.

I also forgot to mention all those beings that walk or crawl on two or four legs. Baxter State Park is going to be swarming at this time of the year. Many people in Maine those that are not feeding off of the tourists - leave and go somewhere else. You can rent your house or cottage out for three months and you are set for the rest of the year. Many of the people that own seasonal business in Maine head to Florida, Texas or other places that are warm during the winter and spring months.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Return to West Coast Lighthouses