|

Another Nordic Finn lighthouse update

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby boats » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:54 pm

:D Well It's that time of year again, Thanks Given first then the big one, Christmas. I spent all day hanging lights, about 800 feet so far, should be done by Dec 1st. We just ended a 22 days of non stop rain, 23 inches in that time frame. Power was off a few times, flooding in some areas south and east of me. Remember what I said in my last post, stock up because the weather will be hard on us all across the country and it happened. Winter just got started. I'll try and get some photos of the this years Christmas display on some how. :roll: Sure would be nice if some of you folks would jump on here now and then, some of the old members. OK bell ringers your turn. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Hey Al. Good to hear from you but every time we do you are always telling us about your rotten weather. It's either 40 below and snowing of bucketing down rain. Do you ever get any sunshine over there?

Nice to know you are alive and kicking anyway, matey. It seems pretty much most of America has had rotten weather this past month or two. Something to do with global warming they reckon.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:42 am

Great observation, Kevin! :lol:

Hey, Boats, how the heck are you? Stay warm, dry, etc out there on the left coast, and try to stay out of trouble!
:mrgreen:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Leah,

I reckon he must have webbed feet by now, plus gills and a dorsal fin. :roll:
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:32 am

removed
Last edited by island on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:07 pm

:yay: "I".. Look Mae, there are folks still out there, I'll be.... Kav me down under mate, how the world are Ya, good of you to remember me..Where the hell you been mate, was thinking the down under went "Under".. Leah, a fine lady you are to remember me too. and Dave. Ok where all you folks been in the last few years, I know, #-o It was the Face Book that got ya all. Here I sat waiting for all you good folks to come to your senses and return to this site. In short.. Welcome back, I'm happy now to know some of you our still above grond, :roll: like me. Well I've been working around the storms to get Christmas up for all the country folks, they look for it every year. Got about 6oo feet of LED lights up so far and built a plat form for the the big guy in the red suit and his mate, Magener site, come in for dinner, got in trouble and back out in the cold to get more done. May get snow any day now. 28f this morning, so I better get this all done by Dec1st. I'll get photos up from help of some one out there, hint hint..... OK mates your turn to ring the BEll. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 pm

removed
Last edited by island on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:49 am

You got that right, Dave. We try and keep all the good things about Oz a secret but the word is getting out, unfortunately, as we are attracting lots of people who want to live here who don't arrive here the correct way. You have a similar problem with a Southern neighbour.

Hi Boats. I've been here all the time matey, just haven't posted much but I do check in just about ever day. Good to hear you're alive and kicking.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:28 am

:D Good Morning, fine Navy day here in the North/West part of Washington State, and and fine day in California. Well if Ya have web feet your in luck, both states got the rain train coming in full on. For us that's normal, but California is getting a little more then they wanted all at once. To bad the down under don't get a normal amount of Rain, Kevin.. What say you, Mate. I have most of the Christmas stuff out but I keep getting rained out, still laying power lines and the rain runs me in, so testing the lines is out for now. All the Christmas lights are LED, so power use is about 1/10th the power I used a few years ago. Last year my bill was $23.00 bucks, years ago it was over $200.00 Bucks. Ya Got to love Christmas, "Right". Keep it down out there. OK, Now the rest of you folks that read and say nothing, log in and at least say Hi to us that stayed in the train station even if we knew the train left a long time ago. :roll: "What did he say".. So make fast all ye Bell Ringers. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Al,

I don't have any Xmas lights and my power bill is nearly $2,500 per year and we have gas heating. Electricity costs have gone through the roof here in Australia because of our government's legislation for carbon tax emissions. My bill has gone from $200 for 3 months last year to $650 per three months this year. The largest part of the usage is our hot water system so I'll looking at instantaneous systems at the moment rather than our large storage tanks.
Hot and wet here at the moment with Summer on us as from today.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Kevin, what's the reason you use 240 volt sytem and not the 110 we use, I never understood why so high a voltage use. We do very good on the 110 sytstem. "boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:49 pm

(removed)
Last edited by island on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:23 pm

:D Dave, I know how you feel, but can we keep the Gov off this site. It will make us happy to have a place to talk about any thing except U.S or World Gov peoblems. I'm sure Kevin knows the problems in the down under. These guys ( :mrgreen: ) can go to &%*%.. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm

Hmmm. I don't think I mentioned anything about government. The UN is not government.

However, I have removed the post.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:19 am

boats wrote:Kevin, what's the reason you use 240 volt sytem and not the 110 we use, I never understood why so high a voltage use. We do very good on the 110 sytstem. "boats"..

I thought I replied to your question yesterday, Al but apparently it didn't make it.
I have no idea why our voltage is double yours but we aren't the only country on 240v. A search of the net reveals about 50-50 110/240 around the world and I guess it's like all the other differences such as money, measurements, rail gauges and so on.

That's a real good question. I must try and find the answer.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Lighthouses