|

Another Nordic Finn lighthouse update

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby BMR » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:13 am

Boats ... Chuck

... and the one really great thing about living here along the mid NJ coast is
you usually get a 100 year storm only once every thirty or forty years ...

Sorry I missed Christmas ... Happy New Year ... be safe, warm
and healthy. Maybe we all meet up one day in a place where they serve
dinks with tiny umbrellas in them.

Barry
There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
No one knows how many humdingers there are in a lollapalooza.
BMR
Keeper

Postby island » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 pm

What do they serve with tiny umbrellas in them :?: :? 8O
Is this something you encountered during your leave of absence?
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby BMR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Quaffs indigenous to warmer climates ...
BMR
Keeper

Postby island » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:55 pm

In the northern climes the most quaffable drinks are served with tiny ski poles in them or tiny oars when on the Down East coast. But this presents a problem when quaffing directly from the bottle. What I was subtly referring to above was your drink was perhaps less quaffable for missing an "r ".
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby BMR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:37 pm

Ahhhh .... (still prone to "fat thumb" syndrome)
BMR
Keeper

Postby island » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 pm

island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am

:yay: Happy New Year to all you shore lover's with tiny "Umbrellas". What ??. :roll: So who hangs out with little people. Ok the snow storms keep coming over on my side of the block, Dec 19th storm left us with 3 foot of the white stuff and Christmas day was the second storm. Still have snow cover and last night we go a little bit more. Two more storms lined up out there with my zip code in them, :wink: what a deal.. My steel car port came down because of the snow, the lighthouse took another hit from wind damage, lost power many times. Thats why I have two generators. I had to rent a big skid loader to clear my road and a few drive ways, all day job. Christmas was ok. I see after Sandy went up the east coast some of you guys or still above ground :yay: , nice work.. Last year was are 40 year storm with 40 plus inches of rain in three days and flooding all over the state. But let me tell you this is what's coming for the next few years. So you folks better be ready, make it happen. And them tiny umbrellas, :wink: Good luck.. OK bell ringers, make fast. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Something you might need besides umbrellas.

http://www.boatingsidekicks.com/lifejackets.htm
Attachments
Life_Raft_(PSF).jpg
Life_Raft_(PSF).jpg (63.45 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:42 pm

And---
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:43 pm

OK, so all the people have gone to Face Book. Now...... :roll: Think about it, for a long time we had a real good group of folks here. :-({|= And now they all left, so what is wrong with this "GOOD OLD SITE"...... What, no answer..Dave is here, Chuck is here, and some of the rest of a few come by now and then. Okay I'll wait for someone to ring the bell................ I'm Waiting ](*,) "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Ring the bell---we have choices. Which bell do you prefer?
Attachments
Jones Bell.JPG
Jones Bell.JPG (35.7 KiB) Viewed 4077 times
Wave Fog Bell (3).jpg
Wave Fog Bell (3).jpg (32.17 KiB) Viewed 4077 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Whatever floats your boat, Boats. We have a boat to float the bell.
Attachments
partridge_bellboat_lac.jpg
partridge_bellboat_lac.jpg (174.13 KiB) Viewed 4077 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:04 pm

:yay: Gee Dave, that was "Good of you to Ring the Bell". Glad you found one with no dings or dongs. How the hell ya doing Old-Man. Been real wet over here, not many sunny days so far, you know we only count the sunny days in the year here. We're about 33 inches so far on rain. Most of the snow went around us so far, except that Dec 21st snow storm which landed three foot of the very wet stuff. My steel car port came down cause of that storm. The lighthouse took it hard as well, got lots of work to get done on the light alone. What about you over there. Any one besides Dave out there. Gee Dave I think we the only two left on the bus. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:15 am

Hi Boats, That bell in the water would not work well when ice freezes on the float or on the post it rides up and down on. Those bell boats were not too good either because it was too easy for them to capsize :? and then it was darned hard to listen for the bell unless you stuck your head under water. :) so you'd have to latch ahold of a boatswain mate, tie a rope to his leg and hang him over the side :twisted: and maybe keep an eye open for sharks unless you were busy with other stuff. Where's the the Boats? Or darned, #-o It was chow time. We just plain forgot him.

Aside from shoveling snow, feeding the wood stove and tending the bird seed Take-out I have been well occupied writing stuff to feed to Tim Harrison. Some has been published and he has two or three more ready in his pile if he wants to use them. There is a darned sight more to lighthouse history beside this and that lighthouse and lots of stuff has not been written about exept for pieces here and there. I don't do this writing to see my name in print. It is just that there is lots to share and not just keep to myself. And I have about six or more topics that I will probably write about unless warm weather comes first when it will be outdoor chores and get that boat of mine ready to haul on out of here to be an island hermit for the summer and fall months. Right now that boat's blocked from the road by about five feet high of hard packed snow left for me by the town plow. Might have to cut a path with my chain saw if it doesn't melt out before June.

As to this bus being near emply, if one has not much of anything of value to say then Facebook is a darned good place to say it.

Dave
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Ahoy, Boats,

Did you not hear the lastest bell or are you listening for it under water with all the rain you get out there on your coast.
Bong. Bong. B -o -o -o -ng. Now thats the sound of a real bell, not one of those whimpy ringy-ding ding kind.

Snow here again today but for a diehard Mainer a wee bit of that white stuff of a foot or so on the ground will not deter the spring planting for an early crop of peas.

David
Attachments
Spring Planting In Maine.JPG
Spring Planting In Maine.JPG (22.71 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
Planting for early peas..JPG
Planting for early peas..JPG (18.16 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
island
Lt. Commissioner

PreviousNext

Return to West Coast Lighthouses