|

San Francisco trip advice

A forum to discuss lighthouses on the West Coast Region of the US
(California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, Hawaii)

Postby kickstand » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Hello fellow lighthouse hunters,

I'll be on a family vacation to San Francisco the first week of March 2010. While it's not primarily a lighthouse trip, I want to visit and photograph as many lighthouses as I can without making my family (wife and 2 elementary-age kids) crazy.

I've already identified Fort Point and Alcatraz as two spots I can probably convince my family to visit. With luck I can get them to rent a car and drive to Point Bonita and Point Reyes.

Any other suggestions for easily accessible lighthouses would be appreciated. Particularly those which can be accessed from downtown, or added to the Point Bonita/Point Reyes itinerary. I doubt I would be able to make it to Pigeon Point. :-(

Also, what kind of weather could I reasonably expect during the first week of March?

Thanks in advance.
kickstand
Visitor

Postby Weasel58 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Well if you can get over to Oakland you can visit the lightship relief and eat lunch or dinner in the old Oakland Harbor Lighthouse, which is now Quinn's Lighthouse restaurant. If you do ride over to Oakland you can see the Yerba Buena light in your rear view mirror as you exit the tunnel on the bay bridge headed west. Make sure you are in the far left lane.

There is an overlook to see East Brother Lighthouse just north of 580, but I can't remember the road name.

Here's a little on the Oakland harbor light.

http://www.quinnslighthouse.com/aboutus.html
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby kickstand » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 am

Cool, thanks. I'll have to check out that lighthouse restaurant.
kickstand
Visitor

Return to West Coast Lighthouses