|

Another UnContest -- Sunrises/Sunsets/Moonsets/Moonrises

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:24 pm

Since these types of threads seem to be going "great guns", I thought of this one that I'm sure a lot of people will have photos of to post here. I'll start off with a couple from 9/01, 2-3 days after the 9/11 disaster and I think the last full day I photographed with Gary that 1st time my husband and I met him in person. Shortly after this, Dan was driving us home from Kalamazoo as the airlines weren't flying yet and we probably wouldn't have wanted to go that way even if they were!

South Haven, MI - Fuji Velvia 50 I think, either Canon Rebel G EOS or Canon Rebel G 2000, not sure which as I had both at that time. Previously sent in to 1 of LHD's contest, probably 2003 for the Best Dusk or Dawn category.

and another taken that same evening:

This one's from Grand Haven, MI taken on 9/23/02 when shooting with Gary and 2 other photographers:

This one's also posted in the lighted lens Uncontest thread, but also belongs in this one:

Point Bonita on 6/3/02 during special after hours tour, Canon Rebel G 2000, Fuji Velvia 50.

Point Montara, 1 of 2 shots taken around 8:30 p.m. after being at Pigeon Point when it was quite foggy.

The other (very similar) Point Montara shot taken at the same time.

One of the South Haven, MI shots taken on 9/10/01, the evening before the 9/11 disaster.

That's all for now.
Last edited by Terry Forrest on Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Beautiful, Terry!!! Wonderful start to a new thread! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Keeper » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:43 pm

Breathtaking shots, Terry, and a great idea for a thread. Here's one of Eastern Point Light, Gloucester, Massachusetts. It was taken about 10 years ago with my old Pentax K1000. I was driving home from somewhere on a rainy day. I saw that the sky was partly clearing, so I pulled off the highway and got to Eastern Point maybe 15 minutes before sunset, just as the sunlight was hitting the tower.

And one of Straitsmouth Island Light, Rockport, MA, taken in July 2004 from a boat (I was narrating a lighthouse cruise). Too bad the light wasn't on yet.

Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey gang, looks like we are off to a great start with this one as well. Can we add moonrises as well? I know there are a few who have these and I would like to see them again as well!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:55 pm

Thanks!!

Stephen, good idea; I edited the title to include Moonrises, too. I don't have any, but I do have some moonsets! Have to find the cd's they're on from South Haven and Grand Haven.
Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Postby Keeper » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:32 pm

I don't think he's been on this site, so I'm posting links to a friend's site. William Marshall, a volunteer for Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse, has gotten some great sunrise and moonrise shots -- also, wave shots, sea smoke and more -- of Whaleback and Portsmouth Harbor lights.

http://www.craggycoast.com/products/photos/NH_coast/NH_coast2.html

http://www.craggycoast.com/products/photos/NH_coast/NH_coast.html
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:55 pm

Some good ones on both sites.
Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:05 pm

I will definitely be posting some on this thread tonight. I do have a thought though... What if we set a self imposed limit of 3-4 photos posted per day per person? I think this would help us to pick out our very best and give everyone equal time in the thread.

Just a random idea that's been in my head for the lens thread, thought it might fit in with this one since it's just beginning.

Photos to come...
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:23 pm

I don't see any reason to limit the number of photos, Mike. I say let everyone who wants to post theirs, do so and those who don't want to, fine.

I don't see that anyone has abused posting their photos on any of these Uncontest threads, which is why I don't see a reason to make any limitations.
Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:33 pm

One from August 2004 in the Upper Michigan Peninsula:

Keweenah Upper Entry Sunset, Fuji Velvia 50.
Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:34 pm

I don't think anyone has abused anything Terry, like I said, just an idea to keep it balanced...

That Keweenaw shot looks familliar... Was that the night all three of us were out there or just you and I? I can't remember.

Anyway, as soon as I saw Stephen's post about moonrises I thought of the first one I was able to photograph, in the spring of 2004 at Little Sable. The full moon was so bright it made metering exceedingly tough, and by the time the moon reached the top of the tower it was too bright to make any kind of a decent photo, but I got a few while it was still low.

You can see the overall exposures getting darker as the moon got brighter, and the moon was still blown out on all of them. This was a real learning experience, the fact that I got a couple keeper photos was a bonus.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:39 pm

Muskegon, MI (the newer ones rather than the older ones), taken on 9/23/02 while photographing with Gary and Bill Taylor before the 3 of us met Mark Cassini at Grand Haven for a really spectacular sunset and such a WIDE variety of colors, waves and beams from above!

and Luddington on 9/25/02 with Gary after Bill Taylor had gone home to Sacramento:

Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:54 pm

I'm not sure which night it was taken, Mike. I might have to go back to my cd's to find out, as I name them with the dates. It could have been any one of 4 nights, as I was with you one night, with Gary and you another, shooting by myself one night with Dan and Maria sitting on one of the benches and then the night when I started out being by myself with them and you came along, after deciding not to go to other lighthouses.

Another one from Grand Haven on 9/23/02 that definitely shows the variety of light that we had that night - see my 1st Grand Haven one in the comment that started this thread to see the difference -- on the same night!

It was a Photo of the Day on Photoblink.

Here's one of Upper Keweenah on 8/1/04 when you and I went there without Gary the evening of the day he arrived:

Last edited by Terry Forrest on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:12 pm

Ok, just one more before bed. Whitefish Point light this summer as the sun set and the moon rose.

This was shot on Provia ISO 100 slide film
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Terry Forrest » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:18 pm

Nice one with patriotic colors, Mike!

I'll be good -- LOL -- and not post any more for now!!
Terry Forrest
Assistant Inspector

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography