|

It's been a while...

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:49 pm

For the first time since November 11th of last year I made a trip to a lighthouse last night. Leaving freighter girl to tend the tugs I ran up to St. Joe to see if I could luck into a sunset. It was great to get back to the lake again, I didn't realize how much I'd missed it until I came over the dune and saw my lighthouses. They looked huge to me for some reaason, probably cause I've only seen them in pictures all winter and spring.

Anyway, I went out to the end of the pier and back, dodging fishermen all the way, and then back up to the dune to shoot. Turns out the sunset was less than spectacular, but I got some good shots as it was still going down. (All these are digitals, I only shot a few frames of Velvia, so it's hard to say when I'll be able to shoot up the rest of the roll and have them developed.)

1/640 f13 ISO 200 Nikon D70

When I got out to the end, I played around a bit with the sailboat and the sun. Remember to be careful when photographing into the sun like this, but it can get you some cool shots.

1/200 f7.1 ISO 200 Nikon D70

This is an angle I have never really explored before, for some reason it just jumped out at me. I kinda like it.

1/500 f11 ISO 200 Nikon D70

For this shot and the next I intentionally sent the lighthouse into a silhouette by underexposing what the meter showed. This also increased my color saturation in the sky.

1/640 f13 ISO 200 Nikon D70

This one was set up pretty much the same as the one above, I just moved back to the inner light.

1/320 f9 ISO 200 Nikon D70

For this last one I brought the exposure back up as the light levels went down a little, which brought the detail back up in the lighthouse and the pier. I also liked how the sun was reflecting off of the metal plates on the pier deck.

On this night I decided that rather than swearing at the anglers on the pier, I would just use them in the composition and I think they add a little bit of life to the shots. What do you think?
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:34 pm

Hey Freighterboy, are you just doing this to rub in the fact that I CAN'T run out to the lake any more on a whim????

In any case, nice shots!
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Great shots, Mike, especially with the digital! And I bet you were trying to rub it in on Gary! LOL
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Jen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:22 pm

Nicely done! Love the color you got. I think the anglers add to the composition because it gives you a sense of scale with how large the St. Joe lights are. Do you white balance before you go out and shoot?
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:39 pm

I usually try to figure a way to keep the anglers and the walkers out of my pictures, but the last photo is my favorite with the sun reflecting off the plates. The colors are great, you made the most out of a so-so sunset. I agree with Jen, the fisherman does make you realize how big St. Joes really is.
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby boats » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:39 pm

HI DAD, how was your Fathers Day. Nice to see you on line Mate. So now your the Port Captain at home. 8) The pictures or supper. :D "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:17 am

Dear Mike,

It is wonderful that you got out at all. We all know that you have your hands more than full. I loved the shots with the fishermen/fisherpeople in them, I would like to see more of them.

Also, I do really understand about not getting out and taking photo's. In my case it is money that is holding me back. Sometimes times we cannot shot the places we love (Gary and others) because of the distance to travel to them.

It was so good to see your photo's Mike you have a special and very ability in the area of photography.

Carole and of course Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:33 am

Actually there was no rubbing intended. My second thought after cresting that first dune was that I really wish the scruffy old scientist could have been there with me. But you were there in spirit Gary.

Jen, I don't white balance, partly because I shoot in NEF + JPG, and NEF doesn't use white balance, you apply it in post processing. It's just not an area that I'm very familliar with.

Boats, Father's day was very cool, I can't wait to hear the little guys call me daddy.

Thanks all for your comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the shots.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:43 am

Great shots Hersh and they look even better now on my new PC with a flat screen. The clarity is unbelievable.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:19 am

Mike,

I really like 1, 2, & 5! Now the other two are nice, but just don't compare to the other three in my opinion. I especially like how the sun reflects off of the metal plates and the fishermen do add an element of scale, but that has already been mentioned.

Thanks for sharing!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:13 am

Mike, how great to see your posts ... the composition was just great and, contrary to the forum, I'm thinking I like the sailboat shot about the best ...

As far as your friend goes ... "Let it go, Indy ... let it go" I guess you can take the man out of Michigan, but ... sounds like an acute case of separation anxiety from here ... Gary, let NJ and the greater Tri-State area wash over your psyche ... You have so much more in NJ ... still waiting for you to make it to East Point ... you got the North Shore of Long Island ... and you have coastal Connecticut and points north to New England ... Granted these arent "on a whim" shoots ... but nevertheless ... they are all waiting for you ...

For the love of Mike ... (see how I tied that in? :wink: ) ... shoot something and post it ... it's been awhile!
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:17 pm

Hey Barry... Not acute separation anxiety... I just need a big storm or hurricane to cook up some waves worth photographing! For those of you who have never been out in gale force or stronger winds on the Great Lakes, it's hard to explain, but there is a strange communion that you develop with the power of a storm that I haven't found here on the east coast yet. This is not to say that I haven't been in some spectacular storms outside of the Great Lakes.... probably the most memorable was standing in the eye of hurricane Alicia when the storm swept over Houston in '83, looking up in the still calm and seeing clear, deep blue sky :!: It is a very humbling experience... standing there you realize that compared to the power of the mighty storm around you, you're pretty much powerless and insignificant no matter who you are...

I just finished doing the photos for two magazine spreads... I'll see what I can do about posting something... You're right, it has been a while.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Mike, are you shooting in Manual with the D70?
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Biggy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:25 pm

Hey Gary... No matter what the darned forecasters say, you're not likely to see a great hurricane around here. You may not even see a Category 2 before you head onto your next stop following retirement. As I've told you before, the best storms we get around here are the Nor'easters in the winter. And even then, those waves probably are not like anything you've already seen on the Lakes. Sorry, man, but you have to find something else of interest other than waves on this side of the country, because you're likely never to find anything impressive. Even a Category 1 hurricane would only churn up maybe 15-foot waves on this coast. You've see that already, my friend.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:32 pm

Hey David, does that make NJ part of the "least" coast in terms of storms???
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography