|

It's been a while...

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Biggy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Sure does, Gary. We only get a good Nor'easter about every three or four years, and a decent hurricane every 10 or 12, if that. When Hurricane Isabel rode up the Chesapeake in 2003, we got some of the wind. The waves might have been 8 or 10 feet... that's as good as it gets around here unless we get a Category 2, which, if somebody can prove me incorrect, I don't believe has ever occurred on the coast of New Jersey. From what I can recall of my meteorological studies, we've had only a bunch of Category 1 hurricanes hit the NJ coast. A couple close calls with Category 2's but I believe they officially hit elsewhere. Sorry, Gary. You picked the wrong coast for waves. 8O
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:37 pm

Ross, it varies from shot to shot, it just depends what I'm looking for. For some of these I was in manual mode, but I also shoot in program fairly often. I know some see program mode as just newbie point & shoot mode, but if I'm not worrying about depth of field concerns or motion stop shutter speed, I just let the camera take some of the load off and use my +/- exposure compensation adjustments to tweak the exposure. Really it's the same meter whether in A, S, P, or M mode, the only difference is how much you want the camera to do for you.

How's that for a long-winded answer to a simple question? :)

Now I'll let Gary weigh in on this one, as I know he's a die hard manual mode shooter I'm sure he has something to say on the issue.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:03 pm

Hey Hersh, do you mean to tell me that cameras have something other than manual, aperture, and shutter priority modes?

If I'm not shooting storms, I probably shoot 90+% of everything that I shoot in manual mode. I use aperture occasionally when I need to control DOF when I'm shooting at 1 frame/sec or higher. The rest of the time, as in for storms, I'm shooting in shutter priority so that I can suppress wind buffeting, etc. When you're shooting a storm, capturing wave sequences, manual is not an option at 4 or 8 frames/sec.

I don't know what the D200 allows you Ross in terms of control over frames/sec. The D2H lets you set the camera to run at anything from 1 to 8 frames/sec. Most of the time I shoot storms at 4 frames/sec unless the winds are really high, like last November, when I shot a lot at 8 frames/sec to really capture the feeling of the winds and the waves.

Does the D200 allow you to shoot at 8 frames/sec, Ross, if you dial back the size of the file the way the D2X does? Someone asked if the D2H was the next step up from a D200. The D2H isn't built any more. It has been replaced by a D2Hs. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is. As of next month, the D2X will be replaced by the new D2Xs. For those of you hankering for a D2X, B&H has reduced them to $4299 with a $500 mail in rebate from Nikon. They have me thinking about it... What got me to bite on the D2H was the 8 frames/sec.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:49 pm

Divergency in the thread ... I'll let the feature seekers go that away ...

Regarding storms along the NJ Coast ... quite coincidentally ... heard about this working its way through the NJ legislature this morning while on the way to work ...

http://www.protectingnewjersey.org/Index.asp?SecID=69

Memories of a hurricane here in NJ? First day of school ... 1961 ... 1st grade ... maybe a Donna ... a Debbie ... or a Carla perhaps? Didnt land but passed fairly close off shore ... lots of damage ...

More vicious along the coast ... as we elaborated in a thread last year ... are the northeasters (nor'easters) and every now and then you get one that can only be described as a "doozy."

The great one of 1962 cut new paths... new inlets ... through Long Beach Island ... The great one of 1992 lasted three days ... circled back on itself a couple of times ... caused major erosion ... and would work its way north and merge into what became "The Perfect Storm"

No, the winter storm season is much more dangerous and damaging than the hurricane season to coastal NJ ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:56 pm

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:59 pm

Since the concensus of opinion is that I've seen and photographed better storms than I'll get here on the east coast, I had to post on of those shots in response to Barry's report to post something... there you go, Barry.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:00 pm

Works for me ... thanks!
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:17 pm

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:46 pm

Hey now, don't bogart my thread... Get your own!!! [-X
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:24 am

Hey, I'm just responding to Barry's request that I POST something Freighterboy...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:10 am

You are a people pleaser Gary...

=))
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Photography