|

Traded up my Nikon!

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:23 pm

Mike's latest photos reminded me that I forgot to post about my latest acquisition. I traded in the ol' faithful D70 and 18-70mm lens (which i loved) and picked up the D200 and the new 18-200mm VR lens. So far, all I can say is WOW. The fps, the VR, the fine tuning changes in WB and ISO are just incredible. I haven't gotten a fantastic day to shoot, but the Plymouth shots were all with the new camera, as were the foggy/rainy shots from the NELL cruise.

I'm going to miss the old D70, but I need to make one more leap. I'm also looking into another VR lens, but i'm going to try a few out first. I'll post more photos (Sunset Cruise in Portsmouth is this Friday, if it doesn't rain!! :( ) when I get 'em!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:39 pm

You lucky dog... I'd love to try out a D200, and with the 18-200 VR lens? wow... I'll be really anxious to hear how well it works for you in further practical use.

I have the 80-400 VR lens and I really love it!! The focus is slow since it's non AFS, but other than that it's a sweet piece of glass as far as I'm concerned.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:52 am

I saw someone using a D200 the other day at the zoo. I wondered if it was a step up from the D70. So what is the next step up? A D2H?
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:53 am

The next step would be a second mortgage :)

I want the 80-400mm, I think that will be the next and final lens for a while. It's running around $1300 give or take.

It's working really well, and it's fast!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:40 pm

I got mine off of E-Bay for a very good price, but that was after watching for a couple months to find a good price on a lens in good condition and from a reputable seller.

I think I gave around $800 for it and all I had to do was buy a new tripod collar. That was actually a blessing, because the replacement collar from Kirk was far superior to the one that Nikon packaged with the lens anyway.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photography