|

East Point

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Rob143 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:06 pm

I finally broke down recently and bought a 30d and Photoshop. For now the new camera hasn't seen a lighthouse, but I did start playing around with some old shots from 2001/2002 taken with my old Canon G1. I used it for awhile, but eventually migrated back to film. Maybe if I'd had Photoshop, or the patience to work with what I did have, my digital experience would have been better. That said, my first photo posts to this forum are of East Point shot on Feb 2, 2002.

Comments and suggestions to improve them welcomed. Thanks.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Good shots, Rob. The first one is a little too "centered" for my tastes. Looks like it was cropped... might have been better left uncropped?

I like the foreground detail in the 2nd image.

Good color saturaiton in both.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:27 pm

The first one was indeed cropped. From that angle leaving anything more to the right gives you a very unattractive, within this shot, white house. I'll have to look at the original again. I'm not sure how much I cropped off the left side. There was a pole to the left, which was cloned out of the second one, maybe there is something more to the left on the original. I know there is quite a bit more sky available in the original, but being cloudless I chose to crop that pretty hard. I know that pesky rule of thirds doesn't care for centered shots, and rightly so, but I've never been a big fan of following all the rules. Thanks for the comments Gary. I appreciate any and all, after all many eyes are better than two.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:17 pm

God knows that I seldom follow the rules, Rob. I like square crops quite a lot and use them with a lot of my wave images. Of necessity in those shots though there is generally a billowing cloud of spray that takes up about half of the square frame or more, forcing you to keep the lighthouse more or less around the 1/3 line.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no right or wrong way to crop an image. We all have to crop to what our eye sees as appealing. People viewing the image then get to react to it. My comments were that reaction for whatever they're worth...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Rob,

There is no other lighthouse in NJ like East Point and your second shot captures all the reasons why ... while perhaps a bit too saturated for me ... I dont recall the roof being "that" red ... or the window trim being "that" gray/blue ... the style and the setting set this light apart ...

Now, if you only saw the horseshoe crabs trying their best to create little horseshoe crabs then your foray was a complete success ...

IMHO, rule number one is "Is the shooter pleased with the result?" ... there isnt really a rule number two ... just some considerations one might want to be aware of along the way :wink:

Please share some more of your work ...

Barry
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Jen » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:08 am

I really like the lighting you achieved here. I visited this light for the first time in April of this year and was right at the top of my list since it is reminiscent of many Michigan lights. Would love to see more! How do you like the 30D? I just upgraded to the 20D last month from the 10D and I LOVE it...
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Ruilof » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:19 pm

Nice and bright pictures Rob.
Just one little point of critisism, if I may. I think you oversharpend the photo. One can notice that by the white lines around the dark parts. The unsharp mask can best be used by the amount between 80 and 100, radius about 1,5 and treshold about 2. That must do the job
Here is the example:
Ruilof
My Website

Ruilof
1st Assistant Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography